winch waterproof???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: winch waterproof???

winch waterproof???

Ok ,so I need a winch. Seems standard fare on a amphib. So what happens when you plunge it into the water nose first and the winch gets wet? I'm guessing you all have winches of varying degrees of price and "quality". Do winches just hold up to hanging on the front and or rear of an amphibious vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by 2xmax View Post
    Ok ,so I need a winch. Seems standard fare on a amphib. So what happens when you plunge it into the water nose first and the winch gets wet? I'm guessing you all have winches of varying degrees of price and "quality". Do winches just hold up to hanging on the front and or rear of an amphibious vehicle?
    Yes. Pretty much

Just depends how in depth you wish to go...
    A dab of dielectric grease on all the connections is a good starting point, you can also disassemble the winch and make sure all the mating surfaces are well greased... if you treat a winch to a good tear down and cleaning once or twice a year they tend to last a long time....

I’ve also seen 40yr old winches hanging off of farm trucks that never seen a lick of maintenance ever and they still work fine.. but they are the exception and certainly not the rule.

My 6x6 winch is a Warn 2500 model, and gets dunked under every time I enter the creek in my area, and still works fine.
    Same for the Ramsey winch on my previous 8x8 I use to own.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread