Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

Got the frame dropped into the tub. Amazingly, all 18 bolt holes for the outer bearings lined up perfectly, as did other bolt holes. Yanked it back out and got it all welded up. Now on to modifying chain tensioners.

Update: I'm making pretty good progress. I have my new chain tensioners built and welded in. Motor mounts are about an hour away from being fabbed up and tacked together. If all goes according to plan, I hope to set the engine in position this weekend. It's going to be a tight fit. If I can get it in position and the mounts all tacked in, I can set the frame back in the tub, set the engine in place, and then see just how big of a job it will be to mount the original radiator.....if it will fit!!

it's going to be a really good machine that holds up well with all that work you've done ! that first ride will be exciting . love the rolling stand too . johnboy va.

20200116_172806[1].jpg20200116_172745[1].jpg

Thank you Johnboy. I'm counting on it being a long lasting machine.

Here's the chain tensioners.

Looking good, the frame looks really good.
    Countrycummings IV with the diesel worked really well.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

20200128_063910.jpg20200128_063931.jpgI stuck it together to better see what clearances I have. The factory radiator wont fit, so I have to come up with an alternative. I really want to keep everything under the engine cover....nice and neat.

If your radiator setup is similar to mine, you can remove the fan spacer, turn the fan backwards and move the radiator about an inch and a half toward the engine. That gave me enough room to fit the original into the tub under the stock engine cover. Ended up making a new cover to install fans- the two cylinder was fine with the stock cover but the triple ran hot.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Consider 2 or 3 atv radiators in line with electric fans either on right body ledge or across the back. Right body ledge would require cutting the body though.

Btw Bo Clayton is putting together a ride or so in NE Texas on Facebook if you are interested.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Don, thanks for the input and for posting your pic. I have been meaning to go find it. Unfortunately, the Yanmar engine is different. No fan spacer and reversing the fan makes it worse as the fan hub is dished to move it closer to engine already.

AJ, I'm considering all options, including stringing together heater cores along the back screen or wherever else. Actually, I'm researching the John Deere gators. They made diesel models with nearly the same engine and smaller radiators. My radiator is bigger because it has an oil cooler for the hydraulic fluid, which I don't need.

+ Reply to Thread