Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

JB I received the bands today and they are going to be perfect. Thank you very much!

dob...your very welcome ! you know it's too bad we don't live closer to each other so we could ride and work on machines together . i'm sure many members would like to be closer to a fellow enthusiast . i'm sure the no. carolina '' busco '' gathering is too far for you . it's the only chance i get to ride with others. keep us posted on your project . johnboy va.

I would like to make the busco trip sometime. I have family in sanford and holly springs NC, so it could be a dual purpose trip.

20200529_203343.jpg
    Going to drop the trans back in tomorrow and hopefully go for a test run.

Thanks to john swenson and transmission crafters the plungers now are in the right position
    20200529_203358.jpg
    Notice this case has been sleeved at the plungers and also has a bushing the shifter rides in.

My case has sleeves on each shifter hole, now I will have to look closer at the plunger holes.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Attachment 18200
    Going to drop the trans back in tomorrow and hopefully go for a test run.

Thanks to john swenson and transmission crafters the plungers now are in the right position
    Attachment 18201
    Notice this case has been sleeved at the plungers and also has a bushing the shifter rides in.
    Hey Dirtdobber I've noticed any T20 that I've came across from Jonesboro Arkansas have always been sleeved in plunger and shifter holes. Just a FYI.

Thanks dave. I was wondering if this case had been worn out and repaired but apparantly not.

No fun for me yesterday. Installed the transmission and new driven clutch only to discover the belt rides higher in the new clutch than it did in the old, about a quarter inch difference. So, this makes my belt too short now. So, I have to either get a slightly longer belt, or shim the new clutch open just a hair.

Got the 980 all back together and went for a spin this afternoon. Still have some tuning to do. Here's where I am:
    * The new driven clutch came with a green spring, so gave it a try. I wish I had changed it because it stays in "low gear" waaaay too much.

* I've got a geometry problem with the diamond shifter on the right hand side. I had this problem in the first test run, but I was hoping that changing to a different case would correct it. When in forward or reverse it won't pull itself around to neutral unless I give it a nudge. Nothing wrong inside the T20, it's just a geometry problem.

* I'm more than pleased with the engine compartment air flow system. It was 91 degrees today and the surface of the engine compartment was within 5 degrees of the opposite end of the machine.

* I'm going to make some radiator modifications. The engine temp was climbing more than it should in my opinion. I did not get it hot. First, I need to make a small shroud to take up a little space between the fan and radiator. I'm losing a little air here. Next, I need to fashion some type of louvered cover for the radiator. It is exposed to direct sun, so I suspect that is robbing some of its heat exchange capacity.

* Band chatter. I'm running type F fluid with 4 ounces of friction modifier, but still getting some chatter. Not sure what to do about it.

* I didn't get to float as much as I would have liked. It was windy on the lake and I didn't want to risk the wind taking me "out to sea" or pinning me in some trees. I'm just not comfortable yet with this machine. It is not very stable when floating.

Other than fine tuning those things, I like it! This thing is is a beast compared to the 950.

Awesome to hear! I can't wait til I'm down to the little stuff and fine tuning.

Would redrilling the hole in the diamond change the geometry enough to cure the sticking problem?
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread