Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

Hustler 980 tall tub build

Some 18 months ago I was able to buy a 980 tall tub machine. It was a running machine when I bought it but I knew some things weren't just right with it. Finally, I'm getting around to working on it. I'm going to pull it completely apart and rebuild it so I know what I have.

Pulled the top off a few weeks ago and today pulled the engine. So far, the rubber engine mounts weren't compressing and holding things tight, allowing the engine to rock back and forth. The T20 is only half way mounted and its actually loose in the cradle. The plungers seem a little far out of the case. I'll probably open it up just to take a look.

Here's a few pics

20190512_180557.jpg20190512_180616.jpg20190512_180738.jpg

I'm going to take the 18 horse from this machine and drop it in my 950. The 950 has a 20 horse but I don't believe it is running as strong as it should. I just want to see if there is any noticeable difference.

As for the 980, I have a 22 horse Yanmar diesel to go in it.

This is going to be a slow moving thread.

Congratulations on the purchase. I will be anxious to follow the rebuild.

That sounds like a fun project. The BFD works great with a Kubota diesel and if I remember rightly, it's only rated at 19 or so HP. It doesn't go fast, but it has lots of grunt power. Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Did a little work on the 18 horse prepping it to go into the 950, and made a goof. On the 980, the exhaust system has a reducer that screws into the head. Those have to come out to accept the exhaust setup on my 950. One came out easily, the other was a real pain.

I wound up having to cut the adapter and weld something to it to get a bite with a pipe wrench. 20190514_071840[1].jpg
    With an 18 inch pipe wrench and a 24 inch cheater pipe and a lot of grunting, it finally moved.

I then realized the engine would not turn a full revolution after I removed the exhaust adapter. A little BB size of metal from the welder made its way into the combustion chamber. So that goof cost me a head gasket, but I was pleased to see the condition of the cylinder:
    20190514_071909[1].jpg

Finally, I have a problem with my choke cable. As I ride it vibrates into the choked position, so I have to bump it back open every once in a while. I fashioned a little spring to solve that problem:
    20190514_071747[1].jpg

Of course, none of this puts the 980 any closer to being on the trails....

Any difference in the 950?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Any difference in the 950?
    I finally got to give it a test drive today and it does feel a little stronger. It has taken some time to make the swap because I got rid of the governor and had to fab throttle linkage. On the maiden voyage several days ago it died after about 50 yards - carb was dirty even though it is new (been sitting a while). I'm in the process of swapping the starter as the drive gear on the 18 horse is about shot. Then, I've got to do something with the carb. The new carb is slightly different from the original in that the fuel pump mounts about 1/4 inch higher on the body. This keeps the air cleaner housing from seating correctly.

Made a little progress dismantling the 980 today. Pulled the transmission and opened it up. There was not a drop of oil in it (really, not a single drop). The drain plug was finger tight. The oil didn't leak out, it was just never added since the last build (still had the grease used to hold thrust washers in place for assembly). Everything inside looks except the bands. one bearing feels a little rough so I'll replace it. Fortunately all four plungers are the double oring style.

Pulled five of the six axles. Not a single bearing was locked. The set screws on the inner bearings weren't even finger tight. Glad I decided to go through this machine.

Sounds like you may have gotten something that was, luckily?, On the assembly side and not the disassembly side of someone's project. Either way your right, check everything first.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Sounds like you may have gotten something that was, luckily?, On the assembly side
    The previous owner told me they rebuilt the machine, but he couldn't get it to run right. I see why. The chains were routed wrong also.

Today, I'll get the sixth axle out and the frame. Then the fun of figuring out how to mount the diesel.

Made some more progress yesterday. I pulled the frame and built a rolling stand so I can work on it and move it out of the way. I bought a boom pole for my little tractor and it sure is handy.
    20190527_115856[1].jpg

There's some significant rust damage in places. The frame cracks have been repaired. Three of the four transmission saddle slots (for the bolt) are terribly worn and disfigured. I'll definitely have to correct this as it will throw chain and belt alignment off. I will move the laterals over to create more room for my left foot, and I'm thinking about the split shift modification. Not sure its worth it because I've never needed it so far.

+ Reply to Thread