Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

Racer let me get my other one built and you can have it for the cost of shipping. The rollers/weights are rusty and about to fall apart. Not sure when I'm going to get it done but hopefully soon.

awesome, just let me know and no rush. I just need something to limp a machine out of the woods if I even have another massive failure. the last one happened within 1/8 mile of my trailer
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Thanks JB and AJ. I'm not so worried about top end speed. The Yanmar is spinning at 3450 WOT so that's enough for me. What I'm really after is a shift to higher gear by the clutch when under a load. AJ I agree the deep lug tires have a lot of bite, and if they don't spin that's fine by me. But, the clutch should be looking for a higher gear and at least load the engine somewhat. If the new clutch weights don't do it then it is what it is, but my gut tells me performance should be better than what I have now, particularly since it will slip the belt when it should spin the tires. The drive clutch just isn't providing the bite.

On another note, I have a spare (old) drive clutch that I was going to build. But, after tearing it down, I don't like the wear pattern on the sheaves. I'm calling this one junk.
    Attachment 18509
    I might try to stick the machine in the mud with the engine cover off, sit on the hood like we often see Fmints, watch what the clutches are doing. I know you have been spring switching, and with the conflicting information here and there, how far a twist you went? 1.2.3? I think last time I green sprung a 2 stroke I needed to be at 1-1/2 bumps due to clocking.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Are those Mud Bug Tires? If so I have seen them on other machines and they do swim a little, not great but they do move, they are also pretty good in the mud, Lee used to have a set on his Argo Frontier.

The tires are GBC gators. They don't swim at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    The tires are GBC gators. They don't swim at all.
    I have seen those tires to, they do swim (a little)

The Gators do swim, switch the middle ones backwards for better propulsion.

Got the clutch built and am excited to try it out.

Racer I'm ready to send you a worn out clutch. Send me your info.

Report on the modified clutch - I've been on two "test" rides and am happy with the performance. No belt slip and I'm getting power to the wheels in the toughest of situations. Top speed remains unchanged (which I fully expected) but it gets there quicker now. I'm calling this build complete!

+ Reply to Thread