plain old tire chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plain old tire chains

plain old tire chains

at the risk of sounding like an idiot and asking the proverbial stupid question. Has anyone ever tried running plain old fashion tire chains on a amphib. max4 specifically but any of them?
    Seems like they do wonders for my garden tractor and4x4 truck in really crazy snow. Seem to recall they added considerable traction abilities to even my dads old 2 wheel drive in mud and snow when I was a kid.
    would it not have the same effect on a 6x6?

i think if you get a good set installed that fit well they will add traction . to get even better flotation in mud and snow , add some 2 '' wide rubber belting between the cross , chains and you have a pretty good set of tracks . i have seen lot's of pics of that style homebuilt . the belting can be bolted thru the main chain links using fender washers ,and bolts with lock nuts . good luck...johnboy va.

As long as the chain links don't get swallowed up by deep tread on a tire they will nearly always give you a huge amount of traction. 6x6s included. I used to have a set on my 6x6 and they made some difference (only 2 out of 6 tires) they also where hardly tall enough to clear the tread.

Snow chains on all 6 tires may make it a little harder to turn since they add a lot of traction. They reduce traction on solid rock faces like granite. However everywhere else they'll give you more. The less aggressive the original tire the more snow chains help.

I have a second set of tires with chains on them for my Quadractor and Coot. The Coot can drive up any angle covered in ice with them, but they actually don't preform as good in the mud or dirt as the new 31" R-1 mud tires I have on it now. 1" deep tread does even better than 1/2 steel it seems.

On the Quadractor there is no terrain that can stop the machine with all 4 tires rocking V-Bar Snow chains. The difference is incredible, but it does steer a little funky with so much traction. It's actually too much for dirt and hard pack.

+ Reply to Thread