Max II new owner and problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max II new owner and problems

Max II new owner and problems

Hey guys just picked up my first 98 max II. It has a problem I need help diagnosing. When I pull back on the levers to turn or apply brakes it has a sort of grinding/vibrating sound and jerks a little until I pull back harder then it stops and turns . I’ve read some posts about bands and drum problems. I’ve tried adding slip and trans fluid type f with no help. I’ve tried removing diamond shift levers but they are stuck due to rust . I’m not sure what to do. I want to put a 23 hp engine in this but don’t want to if my t20 is shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The only way to see if your tranny is shot is to pull it out and take it apart. I always take them apart on any machine I get because you don’t know if they have been abused or not.

I think you need to put some time on the machine. You may need to learn to pull back harder when turning, especially if the springs are tight pulling the laterals forward. You can remove or loosen the springs to reduce the pull.
    You can check the distance the plungers pull out of the T-20. More than 7/8", the bands are worn.
    How many hours have you driven the machine?

Thanks. I’ve driven it maybe half an hour. I checked how far the levers go back. It’s right around 6”. The guy said he hasn’t used it really since he bought it a couple years ago. I’ll check to see how far the plungers come out of the t20

There is a learning curve to driving them smoothly. Are the laterals spring loaded forward?
    You can loosen those springs to make driving it easier.

I’m sorry but I don’t know where the lateral springs are?

hey friend ... you need to pull out the seat and floorboard. they are 1 complete unit . there is a pin on the floor thru a stud . pull the pin out . put the trans shifter in reverse first. then lift the seat and floor piece out over the steering levers. takes a little manuvering . after thats out look out the bottom of the levers and you will see a spring on each one. they can be tightened or loosened with the eye bolt . hope this helps , johnboy va.

Further diagnosis

So I further looked into the clicking. It will click when I’m goin downhill pulling on the brakes with no throttle. Is that the bands then?

How does it perform in reverse? So far all your symptoms are associated with braking. Also, does it perform fine going forward (with the exception of turning as you explained)?

Reverse seems ok. It’s seems great in forward. It’s just turning and braking. I pulled out the engine and transmission. I’m pulling apart the transmission as we speak to see what’s going on with it.

+ Reply to Thread