T20 transmission question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T20 transmission question

T20 transmission question

Troubleshooting a problem. I'm new to the forum first and purchased my first Max which is a Max IV. it was running fine, backed up, and then attempted to go forward. The left lever will not engage, and the unit wants to move to the right only It actually works now like videos where they have created a split shifter as it will spin in its own footprint one set of wheels going one way the other the opposite direction when going forward. In reverse, it works normal as it should. Attempted turning it off, and rocking it back and forth with no success. Attempted driving in reverse for a distance and then back to forward quickly: no change. In advance I appreciate any and all advice.

Carl (aka 350xrider)

First, check the shift linkage and make sure its all connected. Sounds like the left side is stuck in reverse - either because the linkage has somehow become disconnected, or the diamond shifter has broken. If the linkage is all fine, pull the left side diamond shifter and see if the pin is broken.

Dirtdobber, thank you for your response, and I'll give that a look! I see you are from Mississippi. I have family in New Albany and Blue Mountain, I grew up in Arkansaw, Earle to be exact.

It's a small world. New Albany is a nice town - I've done some work there. I pass through Earl about once a year going to see family in Balk Knob. I don't know much about Blue Mountain.

If you have the opportunity to visit your MS family, bring your 6x6 and let's find somewhere to ride.

I removed the diamond shifter and found the little "tit" that sides in the grove totally sheared off. Two questions: First, how do you flush the T20 transmisstion of old fluid. Second, do I have to pull the transmission apart to get that little piece out or will it come out with fluid change? Thank you dirtdobber for pointing me in the right direction.

If you pulled the engine to access the shifter, inspect the groove in the shift collar. If it’s broken out the transmission will have to come out and be torn down. The broken pin will just lay in the end of unit and won’t get into anything. I prefer to vacuum fluid from T20s. LiquiVac Oil Change System Item #: 141690 | Model #: 2005 Lowes is what I use. If you put 1/4” tube on it and shove it into fill plug it hits a web in the very bottom of case. This leaves almost no fluid in the unit. I would also inspect the other shifter for damage or wear. If the grooves are intact I’d replace shifter and fluid then go riding.

You're welcome 350. Msafia is spot on. The t20 doesn't have a drain plug, only a check plug and fill plug. The only way to drain the fluid is remove the check plug and rotate the transmission so that the plug is at the very bottom. Vacuuming is much easier!

And one other thing -- That pin in the diamond shifter can be replaced (unless the whole thing is damaged). If you can get the old pin out, go to the hardware/parts store and get a 1/4 inch roller bearing (a 1/4 inch diameter roller like you would find in a needle bearing). You may need to grind the bearing down so the length is correct. Make sure the new pin (bearing) and the receiving hole are free of oil or moisture, and loctite it in place with the red stuff.

And do check the shift collar to make sure its not damaged, and it would be a good idea to reach in there with a screwdriver and make sure you can slide it through its three positions. You may need to rock the machine for it to slide.

+ Reply to Thread