JLO 295 problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JLO 295 problems

JLO 295 problems

I have a jlo L295 I am working on that sits in a terra tiger. The boss recently picked this thing up and has no idea how long it has been sitting. I rebuilt the carb because it would barely run. Now it runs decent at idle but when I throttle it up it falls on its face. When I release the throttle I have to re adjust the low idle screw. It almost sounds like the timing is off when I get on the pipe. I checked the compression and I am only getting about 92psi. I don't know if that is too low or not for a 2 stroke. Any help would be appreciated.

92 psi is awfully low for a well running 2 stroke. I usually start a top end rebuild before it falls to 100.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Surprised it even starts at 92 psi. Are you holding the throttle wide open when you check compression? What kind of carb is on it. Hope it isn’t a Tillitson.

It has a Tillotson hr68a. I hear they are a nightmare to deal with. I pulled the engine apart and the lower cylinder wall looks pretty rough. I am going to do a rebuild. Any Idea where to get an oversided piston? Looks like it will definitely need punched out.

I probably have a piston and gasket set.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I'm being really "general' about this, but any engine needs at least 160-180 psi compression to run like it should.

92 pounds just isn't going to get it!!

Tear it apart.....hone the cylinder with a cheap 'ball" hone (AutoZone!) and give the cylinder 15-20 strokes with it, Keep the cylinder wet with some spray oil, or a few drops from an oil can. WD-40 is NOT oil!!!

Put a new set of rings in it and fire it up!!! I al;ways use 91-93 octane in anything with under 4 cylinders in it!!!
    Last edited by Rodbuilder; 06-17-2020 at 12:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread