skipper 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: skipper 6x6

skipper 6x6

Hi. Im 16 and i'm new here and to 6x6s in general. yesterday i bought a beat up skipper atv. I think it has a blown engine(wont crank over) but then again it has sat for a long time. Any thoughts, advise, good engines to swap in? I can't find much info on these. any info would be much appreciated. I am planning on doing a full rebuild. I fish a lot so i want to put a trolling motor in it. also, is there a good way to paint these? where do i find parts for these?

Airhorn,

Welcome to the forum.

If you go to "Other AATVs" and do a search for "Skipper", you will find some threads about your machine. The engine selection would depend on whether you plan to use it as a trail machine or racer. Generally, if you use it as a trail machine you would select a 4 stroke V-Twin engine like a Briggs & Stratton or Predator (inexpensive Harbor Freight brand). If you are into racing, a two stroke might be your choice.

I am not familiar with the Skipper, but there may be some members that could help you more. You may want to look at changing it over to a T-20 transmission since that is a very popular unit and parts are readily available for repairs and rebuilding.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/searc...archid=6872645
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

Thanks for the reply. Mabe a trans swap is a good idea. I can't even find a part # on mine. also, what do you think about using hydraulics to power it???? honestly, i think how they engineered the steering pretty cheesy. If i'm going to have to replace engine and trans and the steering mechanism, it might be worth it. Give me your honest opinion.

A hydraulic system would be cool, it may get expensive though if you don't already have the system lying around. The T-20 transmission is a good, reliable unit that is easy to operate. You would have to do some fab work to fit new equipment in the machine anyway you look at it. There is a T-20 for sale on here that is only $500.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/parts...-illinois.html
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

That's not bad..... i have a couple of other projects going on at the moment. I really need to finish those before i start on this. the fab work is not a problem. I have a stick welder and oxy acetylene tanks at our house. i also have access to tig and mig welders.
    Last edited by Airhorn; 10-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.

any more ideas would be appreciated. im still planning the build. ill probably roll with a t-20.

Where are you located?
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

I'd dump a running engine in it first and see what other gremlins come out of the works. If you have the tools and a dry flat place to take it apart than anything is possible with enough time.
    Hydraulics aren't really worthwhile in the long run (unless you have the parts for free) you'll need 2x as much HP to get the same performance, and expect to increase the overall weight of the machine by 50%
    Their good larger heavier machines.

decided to stay away from the hydraulics. I am rebuilding the engine right now.

Good idea dropping the hydraulics. Hydraulics are heavy, expensive and don't give your the the reduction ratios of a CVT. I think later skippers had T-20 transmissions which would make it ideal. Post some pics to see what you have. skippers were interesting as they have passenger seats forward of the driver.
    Acta non verba

+ Reply to Thread