2001 Response brake issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 Response brake issues

2001 Response brake issues

Hey everyone! So I’ve been scanning the forum for help but couldn’t find anything that fully helped diagnose and solve my issues. I have an idea as to why the issue is but want to make sure I’m on the right track or if anyone has any other direction.

Towed the 2001 Response 8x8 across the inlet last weekend and once I got it back it began to have issues with the right stick and turning. Brought it into the shop to check it out assumed it was a fluid issue. Decided to to go ahead and do a DOT5 flush and fill.

Got the fluid drained out and went to go refill the fluid for the system. Was able to get the right side to pressure up but now the left side won’t bleed correctly.

So my questions are what’s everyone’s best process to bleed the systems on these and how far should the bars move down for correct turning and braking. Should I go ahead and tear the calipers down and check for wear and do a brake rebuild and replace the pads? How often does everyone do brake maintenance as in replace their pads. Any help o direction would be great.

Also I don’t think DOT5 was in the system to begin with. The fluid appeared to have a brownish almost rust like tint to it. To my knowledge the reasoning for DOT5 is its hydrophobic properties. If that’s the case should I just go ahead and do a caliper seal rebuild?

I don’t know much about past maintenance on this machine, luckily I’ve still got the 2014 frontier to take out!!

Wanted to give an update!

The brake system was gone over again and I believe I’ve gotten it traced down to the master cylinder. Are these a common fault problem in these models?

The caliper was pulled out and gone through and couldn’t see any issues with the seals and rings in the caliper itself. The pistons coming of the master look to be working properly.

When I pulled the bleeder valve all the way out i noticed the bearing that was in the valve seems to be a little worn around the edges with shiny spots on both top and bottom. Was there originally a seal coat around the middle of the bearing that has worn down or are the original bearings supposed to be smooth?

Other than that I do believe it to be the master cylinder as the culprit. Will keep this thread posted as so find out more!

Hey just wanted to go ahead and close this thread out myself.

Checked over everything today, replaced the master cylinder and everything is working perfect!

I know no one commented on this thread but maybe it can be if use to someone else later!

I just wanted to say I recently bought a 2000 Argo response eight by eight, and reading this thread was very preventatively helpful! Thank you for posting originally and your follow-ups.

+ Reply to Thread