Tie down brackets for Argos

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tie down brackets for Argos

Tie down brackets for Argos

Hey folks so while in the process of rebuilding my Vanguard, I got to thinking about securing it while hauling. So I designed a bracket that bolts to the axle flange and gives a tie down point. If you strap over the plastic I would think over time it would bow or break. I also didn't like the idea of strapping to the axles. Figured bouncing down the highway strapped by the axles may not be good for the seals and bearings. (Maybe overthinking here). Either way came up with this. Only thing I may would add or change if I ever do it again is grab the forth bolt hole. These will work on a lot of different models. The flange casting part number is 605-97. I didn't have to modify anything at all except use bolts 1/4 longer. Just thought I would share. Let me know what you guys think.

Argo make a bracket for the front axle flange that is just a bolt on.
    https://www.argoadventure.com/642-47...ET_p_9984.html

Before this I've always tied down over the front and rear axles. Now I've got these installed on the front and still tie over the rear axles. Tying over the body plastic is strongly discouraged so that the body is not damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    Argo make a bracket for the front axle flange that is just a bolt on.
    https://www.argoadventure.com/642-47...ET_p_9984.html

Before this I've always tied down over the front and rear axles. Now I've got these installed on the front and still tie over the rear axles. Tying over the body plastic is strongly discouraged so that the body is not damaged.
    Says it won't work with Vanguard which is what I have.

Nice looking bracket!

I have thought about building the same thing for my Hustler. It has no good tie down points on the front. Your work looks really clean and neat - well done. There is one thing I would have done differently (I think). I would have bent the bracket outward so that the tie down slot is further away from the body. It looks a little tight in the pic and I wouldn't want a hook rubbing against the plastic.

Your Brackets look good, and probably work great.
    I've thought about making a set as well, but always seem to just go back to tying down from the Hitch Reciever at the back and the winch mounting bracket on the front. Both points are strong enough to stall my 4200lb winch so I figure that's probably solid enough for what I do.

RD

Hi, I have a avenger Argo I tie mine down this way. First I took the bolt under the wench which goes through the body
    and helps hold the wench bracket in place in the engine compartment.I replace the bolt with a 3/8 eye bolt. I install another
    eye bolt in the floor of the trailer. Also install 4x4 blocks in front of the front tires and bolt them to the floor. I installed a turnbuckle from the front eye bolt of the Argo to the trailer floor. The top of the turnbuckle must have a quick release like a shackle. Tighten the turnbuckle so the Argo comes up against the blocks.
    next connect the back of the Argo from the trailer hitch to the back body. I used a piece of cable. Then I install 4 ratchet straps 2 from the turnbuckle
    to the side of the trailer. One on each side. The same at the back. Attach the straps to the trailer hitch. Your Argo will not move Hope this helps. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    I have thought about building the same thing for my Hustler. It has no good tie down points on the front. Your work looks really clean and neat - well done. There is one thing I would have done differently (I think). I would have bent the bracket outward so that the tie down slot is further away from the body. It looks a little tight in the pic and I wouldn't want a hook rubbing against the plastic.

Actually thought about that. But with the hooks on my ratchet straps nothing rubs. So no worries there.

If anyone wants a set I don't mind having a few sets cut. Could always mount them front and back. Whatever suits. Just thought I would share.

We use a very similar design for the Mudd-Ox. For machines without bearing extensions, the bracket is angled away from the body to prevent rubbing. These bolt directly through the flange into the frame just as your design.

With bearing extensions, a different bracket is used. These are angled upwards.

These make transporting much safer and easier without worrying about straps wearing against mechanical components, or not receiving proper tension.

+ Reply to Thread