Hustler 980 Bearing Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 980 Bearing Question

Hustler 980 Bearing Question

So I went with the advice of the forum and ordered new outer bearings and flanges for my Hustler from Buffalo bearing. They arrived yesterday and they have a nub on the bearing that the old ones didn't. How exactly should they go together? I took some pictures of what makes sense to me but it puts the only hole for grease to enter the bearing offset from the grease zerk which is not how I've seen this explained on the forum. Thanks.

20191026_112955.jpg20191026_112946.jpg20191026_112942.jpg20191026_112746.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TienBien View Post
    So I went with the advice of the forum and ordered new outer bearings and flanges for my Hustler from Buffalo bearing. They arrived yesterday and they have a nub on the bearing that the old ones didn't. How exactly should they go together? I took some pictures of what makes sense to me but it puts the only hole for grease to enter the bearing offset from the grease zerk which is not how I've seen this explained on the forum. Thanks.

Attachment 17736Attachment 17737Attachment 17738Attachment 17739
    Either take a grinder and knock that nub Off, or better yet grab ahold of it with a pair of side cuts and pull it out exposing another hole for grease to enter. Either way, get rid of it and reassemble everything how it originally was
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks, I'll try cutting it off but it's really small. It doesn't even feel like it can slide out. Why is it on there in the first place if the bearing works better without it?

I need to purchase bearings for my 950. How much did the full set cost you from Buffalo? I was looking on Amazon for options as well. Thank you in advance.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

I imagine I'm too late to help you on this one but hopefully I can help others in the future. I'm a journeyman millwright/industrial maintenance mechanic and deal with these issues frequently. Without handling the bearing, I can't be positive, but it appears you have it assembled properly. I don't recall ever seeing this type of bearing with a nub, but it must be there to help eliminate rotation in the housing. The groove around the bearing is a grease groove. As long as grease can get to the groove, it works its way around the groove and into the grease inlet hole. Provided grease can make it to the groove, it doesn't matter where the grease zerk is located along the groove. This is common in industry.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    Last edited by ff340fred; 12-07-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Had the same issue on my Max ii, I just ground the nub off, seems fine. I made sure the grease hole In The bearing was lined up with the zerk in the flange. No matter what I tried I couldn't get ahold of the nub to cut or pull it out. I bought from Buffalo also.
    ** There was no provision in the flange for the nub to fit in and when I tried forcing the first one it left a gap between the bearing and flange, no bueno.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread