Was it the ONE and I didn't know it??!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it the ONE and I didn't know it??!!

Was it the ONE and I didn't know it??!!

New member here and naive as heck in regard to AATV's. On Thu last wk I drove 4.5 hrs one way to test drive a 2003 Max II that had a Kohler 23 hp engine with no obvious signs of abuse. Oil looked clean and was at the proper level. Body and tub seemed intact and in good shape other than fading and evidence of excessive sealant around the axle penetrations. The layout of the drive sticks seemed odd to me and made me wonder how two ppl could possibly fit. When I drove it my assumptions were correct, I had to strattle the drive sticks in order to be comfortable. The machine was extremely hard to shift into forward and somewhat difficult to shift into the reverse and neutral as well. The starter was evidently on its last leg because it took several tries to hit the sweet spot before it started.
    So needless to say I was leery to buy it because even though I'm very mechanically inclined I dont have any experience with AATV's. Could've gotten it for $1500 but my gut said to pass on it so here's my question, does it sound like I let a good deal get away or like I made the right decision. One more thing, the seller mentioned that when he got it there was really bad gas and it wouldn't start. Supposedly he drained it all out and filled it up and it started then
    I know its hard to say without being there but I'd stil like to hear opinions eitherway. Sorry so lengthy, Thanks
    Last edited by Moderator Bob; 11-16-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Language

hey buddy ... it's true the way the sticks are set up on a max 2 makes it alittle tight with 2 people ( depending on their size ) . some have modified them for more comfort . did you look in the tub to inspect the chains and sprockets ? also it's good to jack it up so the tires can be wiggled to see how the bearings are and make sure the frame not rusted thru anywhere . normally for shifting it's easier if the driver kinds of '' rocks '' the machine as you are putting in in gear. how were the tires ? if everything was good except maybe the motor needs a starter .. sounds like a fair price . let's see what others say . johnboy va.

It's tough for us to say if it was the one. I don't have a max machine, but straddling the steering sticks is normal from what I can tell. it has the T20 transmission which is always difficult to shift. As JB said, rocking the machine is standard procedure as it makes the internal teeth line up for the shift collar. As far as bad gas, if the engine ran good it is a non-issue. Finally, replacing the starter gear shouldn't be a big deal.

Thx for the quick response. Yes I looked in the tub and at the chains and sprockets. A couple things stood out there were some, not a lot, flat shiny marks on what I would call the crown or high spot of the chain links. To me it indicated wear, even in the slightest amount it still wasn't normal or designed that way. Also, the chains with the shiny spots were the only ones that had a normal appearance. The rest had what I believe was heavy surface rust. The stark contrast between the two seemed odd because all the chains are in the same environment and the two that were normal looking weren't new by any means. Tried the rocking technique, revved it a little, you name it I tried it and it would not go into forward until it was damn good and ready to lol. Tires looked ok, no cracks,checkering, gouges etc. The starter was only a red flag for me because I wasn't sure of its cost per this engine and machine. Assumed it wouldnt be something exotic but I've been burned by my assumptions before lol.
    I'm recovering from elbow surgery so I couldnt get as down and dirty as I normally would which I knew was going to be a hindrance but I didn't want to miss out on what I thought was a good deal.

I'd say the machine ran ok or decent but not spectacular. During the test drive it died at idle one time but started back up. Seller started it the 1st time with choke and squeezed/held the throttle while he looked at me as if to say....see, see how good it starts and runs. I asked him to let go of the throttle and he said...well shes gotta warm up a hair...I said...just for grins let go of the throttle...so he did and it (according to him the machine is a she lol) stayed running but not real strong. He probably held the throttle for a minute or two before releasing it so I'm no engine expert but I'd say that's ok?? I mean, is a really good tune up out of the question heck no but I think the engine is sound. Forgot to answer this from Johnboys post. I did not jack the machine up, I did push on every tire pretty aggressively with my foot which isnt even close to satisfactory as far as checking bearings etc but my elbow situation has me limited. They felt ok with the foot method but again how thorough is that and that also didnt allow for proper inspection of the frame for rust thru. If the
    machine is still available I may reconsider. Would rather have a more updated steering system but with that comes an increase in purchase price so idk. Eitherway, thanks again to both you and Johnboy for the info I greatly appreciate it
    Last edited by Moderator Bob; 11-16-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Language

Kohler engines don't like to be cold. They have to warm up a bit before they will idle well. I have had my 2000 Max IV since new and that is how it was new and how it still is now. In warm weather, it does fine when you first start it. When it's colder outside, it definitely needs to warm up before you take it for a ride.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

hey cup ...maybe the guy would take $ 1200 for the machine . make a offer , if you save $200 0r $ 300 you could buy chain , bearings if needed and a motor tuneup and have a nice max 2 . just a thought . j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by xbunsenx View Post
    Kohler engines don't like to be cold. They have to warm up a bit before they will idle well. I have had my 2000 Max IV since new and that is how it was new and how it still is now. In warm weather, it does fine when you first start it. When it's colder outside, it definitely needs to warm up before you take it for a ride.
    Xbunsenx-
    Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it. I've been reconsidering my options and that's definitely helpful info moving forward. Thx again!

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hey cup ...maybe the guy would take $ 1200 for the machine . make a offer , if you save $200 0r $ 300 you could buy chain , bearings if needed and a motor tuneup and have a nice max 2 . just a thought . j.b.
    Johnboy-
    Funny you should mention that. We must be on the same wavelength bcuz I contacted the seller last night with an offer of $1250 but he didn't bite. I just figured split the difference but that may have been a little greedy on my part idk. Can't blame him for not wanting to come down more bcuz he was originally asking $2000. Eitherway, I appreciate the different perspective. It's helping me iron this out that's for sure. Thx again

I guess the question I need to be asking you guys is, does a machine like this go for much cheaper usually?
    I mean, one that runs and seemingly just needs a little TLC.

+ Reply to Thread