First Terra-Jet Project, for a Newbie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: First Terra-Jet Project, for a Newbie

More progress;

Got 2 layers of BoxLiner on the bottom, left out the grit for a smoother finish that hopefully lasts longer.
    20200206_154930.jpg

Finally got the spar tranny split and pulled the axle through, I had to get at the clips to let it slide off the gears, as I would have broken the case trying to separate it totally. You can see what a PO did to try and get it out originally
    20200207_103907.jpg

Since it was so chewed, I elected to cut the gear sleeve off of it and now I know why my other one won't budge. The key has welded itself to the sleeve:
    20200209_194109.jpg

Here's hitting it with a cold chisel and small sledge:
    20200209_194120.jpg

Guess I will be cutting the other one off too, since I've been pounding on it for weeks...

Oh, and here's a early axle next to a later one, as you can see, the early one is a little longer. FYI...
    20200207_103952.jpg

Lots of good info and pics for anyone wanting to go this in depth in a restore later. Good idea keeping the grit out of the box liner underside. The goal is to have as smooth of a belly as possible to let these machines slide over stuff when they high center. My trick has been to hit the underside with WD-40 right before I take my Coot out into the mud, the difference is night and day, almost seems like it can't get hung up.

Thanks for the tip AWD, I will lube the bottom before finally heading out.

Cut the sleeve off the good axle, cut along the key this time and it came loose and can be salvaged.
    20200211_222955.jpg

My bearings came in for the rear axle, just waiting on the seals and a few parts from TJ, then assembly can start.

I also have an older clutch brake to put in, it's a little different than the newer models, not too clear what's missing to make it work. If anyone has any pics of this setup, that would be great.
    20200213_125940.jpg20200213_125948.jpg

After the axle and tranny, I will be looking to fit the Vanguard in. Anyone have experience with this swap?

Still waiting on seals, Louisiana is quite the distance away...

Dropped the motor in for a look:
    20200219_192052.jpg

I'm assuming I have to cut the muffler off and somehow get it to 'Y' into the stock exhaust. Anyone have pics of their setup they want to share?

I'd hate to see you cut that muffler. Is that engine from a Max?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

No, this is a B&S Vanguard, came off a big pressure washer. Wish I could work with it, but it'll be in the way and I need the flanges....

The dipstick is pointed in the wrong direction, I had to swing it 180 degrees, which means the original bracket is useless. Tried my best to fab a new one...

Original:20200229_001356.jpg

Forming some scrap: 20200229_000853.jpg

Welded: 20200229_002901.jpg

With paint: 20200229_154318.jpg

May not be pretty, but should do the trick. Left the original in place, if I ever need to go back to it. If it gets in the way, will cut it off.

Finally got my bearing seals, time to start putting this basket-case together. Axle is going in through new transmission. First things first, loading up the anti-seize on the keys to avoid it seizing up again.
    20200303_230513.jpg

Goach, where abouts are you located?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Near Niagara Falls, Ontario.

+ Reply to Thread