First Terra-Jet Project, for a Newbie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: First Terra-Jet Project, for a Newbie

Looking back at post no. 59, it looks like your belt is riding pretty high in the driven clutch, as it should. Break in time shouldn't matter. The spring pressure in the driven clutch should force the belt to return to the outside (or largest) circumference. It needs to spin in order to do this, though. When the engine increases RPM, centrifugal force closes the drive clutch and forces the belt to follow a larger circumference. At the same time, the belt is forced deeper into the driven clutch, with the driven spring providing the resistance to keep the sheaves in solid contact with the belt. As you reduce RPMs, the drive clutch "backs off" the belt and the spring on the driven clutch forces the sheaves together to avoid slack in the belt and forces it to a larger circumference. If the belt is so tight that it won't allow this to happen, then the belt is too short. BUT, if the driven clutch is designed for a wider belt than what you have, the belt isn't going to run in its intended position.

I don't know the outside circumference of my belt, but it is 1-3/16 top width.

Post 59 had a belt that was longer and I had it adjusted out pretty much as far as I could and there was still a lot of slack inside of the primary. I'm going to try and make a few adjustments with this one that is 2" shorter to see if I can get it to where it needs to be.

Any chance you have a shot of the slack around the primary at rest?

I'll snap a pic this evening.

Great pics, very helpful thanks. Played with it again last night, even put the longer belt back on. Nothing seems to stop the secondary from moving at all, however, there is a brake for the secondary itself. I wonder if this is meant to allow for some movement, if it can be stopped without too much effort by your foot? Does your setup have a brake?

The only brake I have is internal to the transmission. Although my belt is adjusted tight enough to slightly spin the transmission at idle, bumping the laterals will stop it so there is no damage to the transmission when changing gears. The brake I have is designed for steering and forward/reverse movement, not to control the driven clutch.

A little movement in your secondary clutch may be just fine (I don't know how your transmission works) as long as you aren't grinding gears and causing damage. Where are you located? Maybe there is a member near you that could help.

I'm near Niagara Falls, Ontario. When I had the longer belt on it, it was completely gutless in a road test, which is why I brought in a shorter belt. It would have way too much slack around the primary (way more than your pics show) if it was loose enough to not spin the secondary. I guess I will keep playing with it, although last night I shifted the trans to the side a bit to make a little more room, so I now need a longer bolt, as I had to shim out the primary again. Luckily CT has a bolt in stock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/318AdGnvGyAwg8kk6

This belt is 1/16" smaller than what the Comet calls for. I've got room to adjust both ways. How's it look so far?

Is your engine at idle in that pic?

Looks like it will work, but the belt is too narrow. It should be at the very top of the driven for the lowest gear ratio.

+ Reply to Thread