New forum member, old 6x6, new problem needing help.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New forum member, old 6x6, new problem needing help.

That's amazing. I wonder how many hours of operation it takes to accomplish that level of wear. Of course, there could have been a whole lot of grinding the gears when shifting.

I don't know if anyone has ever done a repair as you suggest. I think these drums are cast iron, so welding a new set of teeth to the old drum is not ideal, but probably doable. Unless you can do the work yourself you may come out ahead if you can find a new drum.

Are both drums damaged like this?

I haven't pulled the second drum yet, but I'm expecting the same.

There was very little visible wear on the selector, so I'm assuming it's a hardness mismatch... How many hours? Well the hour-meter was disconnected but it stopped at 127 hours or thereabouts. I think it's only about 5 to 6 years old.

How did this happen? I have no idea. I can only guess someone really mistreated the reverse, or constantly held the sticks back when changing to reverse... Or perhaps the ring gear drum was just too soft and simple pressure and hard surfaces was enough over time. How they managed to do BOTH like that though.... I'm really scratching my head. Maybe someone tried to engage reverse with the engine speed too high, and it just machined away the teeth or something.

Another suggestion I got was an interference fit... Make the gear replacement larger than the hole and freeze it and then insert it, so that it jams in place.

It doesn't seem like 18 tooth replacement ring gear drums are available, so getting replacements doesn't seem like an option.

+ Reply to Thread