Detent springs

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detent springs

Detent springs

I need to replace both detent springs and really don't want to spend the 30 bucks a piece from rr. I've been happy with everything I've bought from him so far but I'm really not into spending 60 bucks on 3 dollars worth of springs. I ordered a length of 3/16 spring on line but now I'm thinking I should've ordered 1/4" so the spring sticks past the groove a hair. What other solutions have you guys come up with besides spending that kind of coin on two dinky little springs?
    I measured the factory spring at 3/16 or 4mm, I'm just thinking now I should've ordered 1/4" instead so the spring sticks past the groove a bit so it holds it in gear better. Maybe I'm overthinking something small. I'm already over 400 bucks I to this transmission. After cleaning it all up everything looks good except those two springs. And it seems that the plates on the planetary gears were both backwards according to maxrules99 video on YouTube. These springs are all that's holding me from putting it back together. I'm hoping to o be riding before snow flies it's been a long rebuilding process with alot of setbacks along the way and other priorities getting in the way but I'm finally almost ready to enjoy this machine, not that the whole restoring rebuilding process wasn't fun and enjoyable, I'm just ready to actually get to run this thing since all the bugs will finally be worked out. Thanks in advance for any insight.
    DanW

Which trans?

If you're working on a T20, and it sounds like you are, go with the factory size. There has to be room for the spring to nest itself in the shift collar as it slides from one position to the next. A larger diameter spring may not nest as it should, and thus won't shift.

Yes sorry it is a t20. Okay now I don't feel like I messed up by ordering the a length the same diameter as what came out. The old springs are very brittle. It has the 9 tooth shifter gears if that gives any idea how old it is.
    DanW

I must be missing something. I dont know of any detent springs in a T20.

They're in the shifter collars to help hold it in gear, mine kept jumping out of gear on the short test runs, and I could literally shift it forward to reverse with my pinky on the diamond, if everything was lined up. While I was replacing bands and seals I discovered the springs were broken on both sides.

Edit** I could get it to stay in forward if I left my foot rest on the shifters, I did the split shift modification. But reverse if kept flopping out as soon as there was a little slack
    DanW

Oh that long one that is inside the shift collar. If you ask on here I'd be willing someone will have extras.

Yeah probably about 3 3/4" inches+/-. I ordered a length of 3/16 stainless and a pack of various springs.
    DanW

I have a bunch of good garter springs. If you don’t get them correct it may not shift or stay in gear properly. Send me a text at +19073888582. I can put in an envelope.

Did the springs that u ordered work? I’m in the same boat, need new detent springs but don’t wanna pay 60$. Do u remember where u got them at?

+ Reply to Thread