T20- New "stronger thicker style bands" ...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T20- New "stronger thicker style bands" ...

T20- New "stronger thicker style bands" ...

Has anyone had trouble with their u channels bolts being too short after installing these bands? Aside from not being comfortable with one or two threads holding my u channels everything seems fine it works fine on the bench in forward and reverse. I guess I gotta get about 1/4" longer bolts to solve it. I don't even know if the bolts in it are the original or correct bolts, the last guy left me quite a project with this machine if anyone has followed my progress over the past 2 and half years.
    Also my plungers are about 3/16-1/4" in the hole and there is not nearly enough thread contact for my liking, I was taught the distance of the diameter of the bolt plus an 1/8" to get the full strength from the bolt.
    I feel if I pry them out to get more threads then I will just be applying both bands and it won't move. Or am I thinking wrong and they should be pretty tight? The video I watched for adjusting the u channels definitely had more bolt in the hole biting than what I'm getting. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this?
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 12-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    DanW

If your bands were worn out and now you have new bands then that could make a significant difference in the bolt length. Just get longer bolts and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    If your bands were worn out and now you have new bands then that could make a significant difference in the bolt length. Just get longer bolts and give it a try.
    Yes the old ones had no lining to about as thick as paper in some spots. Luckily the drums weren't terrible and cleaned up nice with a little sand paper and elbow grease. Trip to napa in the morning it is then, I want to do a couple shake downs before I order tires just in case I need to buy something else.
    DanW

hmm I had a heck of a time w with the thicker bands.come to find out that if your drums have never ben turned the need to to accoumidate the thicker bands,not enough free play.a lesson hard learnd after pulling it apart 3 times.grrrr when they sell u the thicker bands they don't ask u if your drums have ben turned .just sell the product .costly learning experiance there ill say

Quote Originally Posted by shultz55 View Post
    hmm I had a heck of a time w with the thicker bands.come to find out that if your drums have never ben turned the need to to accoumidate the thicker bands,not enough free play.a lesson hard learnd after pulling it apart 3 times.grrrr when they sell u the thicker bands they don't ask u if your drums have ben turned .just sell the product .costly learning experiance there ill say
    Where did you get these bands from??

If the friction material is thicker, and not just the stainless band, and you were able to make them work with a longer bolt they should last way longer. might consider machining a third o ring groove ( or second and third) in the plungers considering how far in the case you describe them as being
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by dave phelps View Post
    Where did you get these bands from??
    I got mine from richards
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    If the friction material is thicker, and not just the stainless band, and you were able to make them work with a longer bolt they should last way longer. might consider machining a third o ring groove ( or second and third) in the plungers considering how far in the case you describe them as being
    If I were to do it again I would do a third o ring for sure, but so far I haven't heard anything from the guy who bought my max. I hope it's still serving him well, it should for a long time since it was all new or rebuilt
    DanW

rt 66 Richards .I talked to him about the issue he told me the drums had to be turned to accomidate the bands ...soooo my tranny is at his shop getting done now

Quote Originally Posted by shultz55 View Post
    rt 66 Richards .I talked to him about the issue he told me the drums had to be turned to accomidate the bands ...soooo my tranny is at his shop getting done now
    Ok Thanks. I wonder how much he is taking off? I took 0.20 off mine and used relined bands with original thickness and plungers were fine in the case. If ya would ask him how much he’s taking off so we are in the know please?
    Thank you
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread