6 x 6 23 hp Kohler Power Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6 x 6 23 hp Kohler Power Question

6 x 6 23 hp Kohler Power Question

Just got a used 6 x 6 with the 23 hp EFI Kohler engine. The max rpm's that I can get is 3400. The Kohler books specs 23 hp @ 3600 rpm's. I am running rubber tracks.
    Is 3400 normal or should it be reving higher?

Quote Originally Posted by esimon4 View Post
    Just got a used 6 x 6 with the 23 hp EFI Kohler engine. The max rpm's that I can get is 3400. The Kohler books specs 23 hp @ 3600 rpm's. I am running rubber tracks.
    I have the same machine.
    Rubber tracks will slow down your top speed but not sure what the top RPMS is on mine.
    Not a speed demon either way.

What elevation are you running your machine at? If it is considered high altitusde you can reduce the weight of the primary cluth weight and get those RPMs back.

Quote Originally Posted by esimon4 View Post
    Argos are usually set at 4000 unloaded rpm, meaning in neutral, so they can reach 3600 in gear but efi engines sometimes will not reach that due to computer. Under load rpm varies as to load, tracks would be a factor.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I set max and Argo governors at 4000-4100 with just the belt load. You will have to replace the governor set screw wit longer one to get that speed out of a kohler. It’s the metric bolt that pushes on the governor arm. If it was a box engine it’s set at3400-3600 rpm. Briggs v twins require a different main spring to get those rpm’s.

Thank you all for the advise. I am in Michigan so elevation is not really a factor. i will rev it in Neutral to see how hi it will go.

Took it back to the dealer and they fixed the throttle plate. It was only hitting 3100 rpm and now does 3400 with the tracks on. Still haven't rev'd it up in neutral but it really goes now!
    The 3400 in my first post was a typo. Plowed some snow with it and had a ball.

+ Reply to Thread