1 piston ring????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 piston ring????

1 piston ring????

So i was talking to a 2 stroke guy about my l380. He mentioned that a trick oldtimers use on old 2 strokes like mine, is using only 1 piston ring. Has anybody else done this?? it seems like there would be less compression, but the resistance from the missing ring might make up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Airhorn View Post
    So i was talking to a 2 stroke guy about my l380. He mentioned that a trick oldtimers use on old 2 strokes like mine, is using only 1 piston ring. Has anybody else done this?? it seems like there would be less compression, but the resistance from the missing ring might make up for this.
    I have heard the same thing but I have never been brave enough to try it.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

lol. I wouldn't have even thought of it if i hadn't busted one of my new ones. tightened the compressor, and "pop". couldn't get the other one in there either. And yes, im putting it in the right way up...... Kinda frustrating. Wrong size?????? i bought engine specific rings and its stock piston.

Quote Originally Posted by Airhorn View Post
    lol. I wouldn't have even thought of it if i hadn't busted one of my new ones. tightened the compressor, and "pop". couldn't get the other one in there either. And yes, im putting it in the right way up...... Kinda frustrating. Wrong size?????? i bought engine specific rings and its stock piston.
    There is a small pin in the groove on the piston that keeps the rings aligned in the piston. If you don't have the ends of the rings lined up correctly you will break the rings when you compress them because the rings will get pinned on the pins. Look very closely in the grooves on the piston and you will see the pins. There is one pin in each groove.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

A lot of the performance pistons use only one ring. From what I understand it's to reduce drag. I know some of the old racers would leave the bottom ring off a conventional piston for the same reason. I'm not convinced that it's worth the small amount of performance you gain in exchange for engine life. There should be a spec for ring end gap, usually .008" to .012" or so. If the gap is too small, the engine won't last ( speaking from personal experience).
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Racing Karts as a kid, we would do that with a briggs. made great power but not for long. also smoked like crazy till they got up to temp
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by smudvapor View Post
    There is a small pin in the groove on the piston that keeps the rings aligned in the piston. If you don't have the ends of the rings lined up correctly you will break the rings when you compress them because the rings will get pinned on the pins. Look very closely in the grooves on the piston and you will see the pins. There is one pin in each groove.
    Yeah. i saw that. i had the pin in the middle of the gap. The ring has a side gap. Thats why im confused. The ring will go in part way(it's a half keystone ring so its beveled on the top) but won't fully compress. are they supposed to be really hard to press in? I'll probably buy 2 more rings and just install what they had stock. would be fun to dyno the 2 stroke and see the difference between 1&2 rings.

As much as it may fit, I don't to want admit i'm an old timer. Running single ring pistons here (G-50b, for racing) They work great, but they still get hot and the power drops off.
    Some (old time motors) used three rings, worked good also, lasts longer, good low end torque, little lower on the rev's though.

ok. cool! that helps. wasn't saying your old, just experienced.

ok. this is sad. I wasn't even getting close to getting the rings to fit. I measured the rings and the slots in the piston ect. By the looks of it, the ring fits an L340 piston. not L380. Got new rings on order. Im gonna do 2 rings just to be safe. I want this to last.

+ Reply to Thread