Looking at a scrambler local..... 80's era

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a scrambler local..... 80's era

Looking at a scrambler local..... 80's era

who is manufacture of scrambler?

any issues I should look for and avoid with these?

anything that if jumped out at me I should snatch it up immediately?

looks like answer in part my own question.... apparently scrambler was manufactured by... well... scrambler.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
    looks like answer in part my own question.... apparently scrambler was manufactured by... well... scrambler.
    Action Age - Scrambler from Ohio:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...rs-manual.html

I would look for a higher production 6x6 like an ATTEX, Max or Argo if you are a newcomer to 6x6's. Scramblers have very light duty transmissions and drive systems.
    Acta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    I would look for a higher production 6x6 like an ATTEX, Max or Argo if you are a newcomer to 6x6's. Scramblers have very light duty transmissions and drive systems.
    I think it depends what you want it for. I've had three 6x6s, all Scramblers. Never had much interest in ATTEX, Max or Argo. I'm sure they are all technically better machines, but the Scrambler is just as much fun and doesn't look like a tackle box with wheels.

I will agree the Scrambler is one of the best looking AATVs ever made, but try and make sure its a running example, they are finicky to get working right once worn out. If you have the capability to do a full part breakdown and restore its doable, but otherwise not so easy. The steering is pretty easy to adjust so if it doesn't turn quite right that's fine, but if the chains keep coming off and the sprockets are no longer aligned (which tends to happen with only one tension point and no frame) they can be very difficult to correct without taking it all apart.
    Also note these do NOT have reverse, that was a big turn off for me.
    Low ground clearance and no reverse, plus chains that like to come off if you go over very bumpy terrain from body flex. I liked to think of my old one as a Go-Kart. They'll go about the same places as a 2wd kart, but if you want better off road look for a more heavy duty 6x6.

I've only owned Scramblers so I can't directly compare them to other AATVs, but I find they are mechanically very simple machines once you understand how they work. I guess I would say they are maybe a little difficult to work on because of the way they're put together, but there's nothing that could go wrong that isn't relatively easy to fix, assuming the thing hasn't been sitting full of water for 20 years. I never had any trouble with the chains coming off, or keeping the sprockets aligned.
    It's definitely more of a light sport machine than a workhorse, something you don't want to take too seriously. The go kart comparison is fair, but I've driven a Scrambler up steep rocky trails that a 2wd kart would never go. And don't forget snow and water too, haven't seen a kart that can float!
    So, did you buy it?

That's fair, I suppose there was so many holes in the tub of mine it couldn't float XD, and comparing to a good trail kart like a full suspension rig or big tired Dingo, not the run of the mill yard karts. The Scramblers are hella fast, I remember looking at a price list circle 1972 maybe? And the Scrambler was the most expensive 6x6 unit on the list, definitely geared for more racing. On another thread I saw coachgeo mention it had electric reverse, not sure if that was available on the older units. I kind of recall the last gens had sticks not a steering wheel, Interceptor would know better than I. The steering wheel was really fun and confused a lot of people when they looked at it for the first time. I think if knew what I do now after years of wrenching on other machines I could probably have made repairs on the scrambler with a lot less difficulty. Like I didn't own as set of Flex-Head Ratcheting Combination Wrenchs. Words can not define HOW useful a set of those wretches can be working on an AATV.

interesting.... thanks folk.

Id probably go complete electric for six small motors to be honest.

I'm certainly no expert, I just have an affinity for Scramblers. One of the Scramblers I owned previously had the electric reverse option. It was just a starter motor that engaged a ring gear on the right clutch disc, I never bothered to get it working. The twin stick control vs steering wheel was also an option, not a generational change. Sticks were available on the early Action Age Scramblers (1968-1972) as well as the later Scrambler Inc Scramblers (1972-1980s). The steering wheel is far more common. 20 MPH was the standard machine, 35 MPH on the higher end machines with 16hp.

Electric drive is an interesting idea. Neutral steer capability would be awesome, as well as full power reverse. Personally I would use two motors. Six motors requires six drives/controllers which could get expensive. It would also be difficult to fit six individual wheel motors in the tub. I don't think there is any advantage to having differing wheel speeds on the same side of the machine. Lots of extra cost/complexity for no benefit.

+ Reply to Thread