74 scrambler help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 74 scrambler help

74 scrambler help

Hi my name is rob and I'm new to the 6 wheeler game but not to wrenching. I recently bought a 70 or 74 scrambler roller with no trans or brake setup. I have a 13 hp engine to use for the machine but have no clue about the brakes or transmission. I am in search of these items or an alternative way to get this beauty rolling again. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to the site Rob and congrats on your 6x6 purchase. I don't have any scrambler experience but hopefully someone on here can help. If you haven't already done so, look in the photo gallery for pics and you might get some ideas.

Thank you. Appreciate your time. Have a good day

They did not use an ordinary transmission with a case and gears, but an open assembly of shafts, chains, clutches, etc., Most of the parts could be made by a competent machinist, with the exception of the cast aluminum clutch release and brake arms that are specific to Scrambler. I think you're going to have a hard time coming up with all the necessary parts to rebuild it the way it was without buying another Scrambler. I don't think a T-20 trans will fit under the rear seat. The simplest retrofit would be a small lawnmower differential (like a peerless 100) with a disc brake on each side for steering. It is not ideal, but may be the only economical solution to get the machine going again.

Sadly it is probably not worth fixing. If you decide you want to sell it, let me know.

Here are a few pictures for reference. This one has some reproduction parts, but the basic layout is the same as original.
    Attached Images

Hi , yeah unfortunately it is proving quite difficult to find anything resembling that trans setup. Ive been wanting one of these since I was a kid. Haha well I am a kid still just hiding in a semi grown up body. What do you think it's worth the way it sits? And I appreciate the pics and information. Trying not to get discouraged.

I sent you a PM.

Wow Interceptor those are the cleanest nicest Scrambler trans pics I've ever seen.
    I also agree, if you don't have all of these parts in the machine you will not find them separate. The machine will either already have them in and working (in which case you'd just make that machine run) or not.
    As I've said countless times before to countless new scrambler owners. These machines are not the easiest to get working right, and when you do. They are not as good as most any other brand of 6x6.
    AATVs will throw lots of challenges at you even when their working. I suggest finding a running example of an Argo or Max and start with that. Than when things go wrong you have a baseline of how its supposed to work when it does.

my 1970 argo advenger looks like the same set up o trany it has a reverable motor with a starter generator that changes the motor from forward to reverse the motor is driveing me nuts good luck

WOW thanks. now I have a goal with mine- take more pictures.

+ Reply to Thread