Max IV external alternator install

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Max IV external alternator install

Quote Originally Posted by xbunsenx View Post
    Jim,

Do you know if Argo disables the internal alternator when they add the external option?
    Well, yes? Most of the Argo units the alternator kit was available for have a inline fuse for protection of the stock system, the fuse is removed leaving the system functional but not charging the battery. The Kawasaki unplugged from the regulator and the alt. wire kit plugged in.
    If your machine has no fuse, and a briggs just disconnect the red while at the regulator.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I am loving yall set ups for the alternator. Thank you for the post, it gives me some ideas for the Hustler.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Jim,
    When I was looking around for information on a dual alternator setup, there were people that run them in parallel. Are you saying that this is a bad setup and it will damage something? I would prefer to leave both operational, but I can certainly unplug the regulator for the internal alternator to disable it.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

I am not saying that at all, as I truthfully do not know if it will harm the system or not, however if it were to harm the system you would not know until after the second alt fails.

What I am saying is Argo disconnects the factory system during higher amp alternator charge, this also leaves you with a second system in reserve. Would suck to loose the alternator on a night ride and have no back up, trust me been there and factory kit helped us ride another 3 hours and then 2 days after belt failure.

Personally I went with the B&S for the pull start which makes it a stand alone engine, in other words I can run with no power, Sandy has an alternator and after belt failure at one Busco Friday Night ride she got shut off and the rope was in NJ, I plugged the stock kit back in and maybe used a strap on the clutch or shoe string next day (ask Rick I don't recall) but stock system pulled the rest of the weekend out once started initially.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

That is a good idea to leave the internal alternator disconnected and use it as a back up system. I am thinking of ordering a larger pulley to get the external to excite at initial start-up without revving the engine to excite it. I think you convinced me. Thank you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will fry the wiring of the smaller rectifier when the larger alternator is at full load. could install a circuit breaker but breaker will eventually fail.
    Acta non verba

Didn't think about that. I was already planning to disabling the internal alternator by disconnecting the regulator as soon as I get back to messing with it. I am also planning to purchase a larger pulley (maybe 6" vs 4.5") to make the external alternator excite at initial startup without revving the engine.

I disabled the internal alternator by disconnecting the voltage regulator. I also did more testing and found that the external alternator does indeed charge at initial startup without revving the engine to excite. I don't have an explanation for why it did not before, but it does now. I will leave the 4.5" drive pulley in place. The alternator puts out 14.7v at idle.

+ Reply to Thread