What makes a racer?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What makes a racer?

What makes a racer?

Hello everyone,

Im just going thru these threads and wonder how people are making these 6r's go so fast? Is there a typical setup for these? Still use the T-20 trans? Cant imagine going much faster than stock with the paddle tires either haha.

-Colin

Quote Originally Posted by corogers View Post
    Hello everyone,

Im just going thru these threads and wonder how people are making these 6r's go so fast? Is there a typical setup for these? Still use the T-20 trans? Cant imagine going much faster than stock with the paddle tires either haha.

-Colin
    They almost all went "so fast" originally by design, the key is rpm, clutching and gearing. As time went on along with the gas crunch the 2 strokes went away. For safety and for some the commercial market the 4 strokes came along for torque and speeds went down.
    4 strokes at 20mph through the woods or a rough road or field is enough for most, if used that fast. The other issue is most of the fast machines are not designed to go slow as you would be lugging the engines.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yes all about clutching and gearing,keeping the RPM's in the optimal engine HP curve, along with lots of practice in keeping the wheels on the ground.
    yes most were made to go fast back in the hey days, of coarse you could tweak them to go faster. just depends on what you wanna do with them.
    most "racers" spend more time sitting in the garage because of the (terrain) only so many places they are even practical to drive.

Thanks for the replies. I currently live on a dirt road and I have land so I drive mine all over the place including the woods. It has a 20 horse Kohler in it but it still feels pretty slow when driving on the road. Are there safe ways of increasing the speed to about 30 mph or so? I cant imagine being comfortable driving it much faster than that in all honesty.

You could tweek the govenor to get more out of it.

Ok cool. Ill look in to that. Im really only wanting to gain about 10 mph or so...

+ Reply to Thread