Anyone try Ocelot tires on a MaxII?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone try Ocelot tires on a MaxII?

Anyone try Ocelot tires on a MaxII?

New guy here. Found a 2002 MaxII in good shape for under $2500. Not new, but not beat either. 16 HP Vanguard runs great. I went through and adjusted ALL chain tensions and hit them all with chain wax. Put a new Dayco drive belt on it. Checked spacing on T20 linkage, looks good.

I bought it because I have just under 53 acres of forestry property with a partner. So far the machine has been a blast. I have been places on the property I wouldn't even think of with a quad. This thing is a TANK in the woods! The only project remaining is to fabricate a mount for a Venom 3500 lb winch I already have.

This beast of a machine will be my primary method of getting around the property and will be great for getting in and setting up a ground blind deer stand this year. I will be able to get deeper in where I know the deer travel and won't have to worry about dragging anything out.

It has Rawhide tires on it and they still have a fair bit of tread but will need replacement eventually. I have some cash coming from a part time gig project, so I'm thinking about tires.

I am looking at the Ocelot 22x11-8 model P308 tires on Amazon at just under $50 each. The pattern looks pretty much identical to a Carlisle Stryker. Use in water is a far distant secondary use, but I wonder if these would swim at all.

Anybody have any experience with the Ocelot tire mentioned? Or- can anybody recommend a good all around tire for the max II? Is the Carlisle AT101 the best known choice? Summit has them in 21 x 11.00-8 (the same size as on the machine now) for $65 each. I'd really like to go to a 22" diameter, but I wouldn't really gain that much I guess. Any gained ground clearance would be welcomed.

I'd love to find Vendetta tires for it, but it looks like those for 8" rims are made out of nonexistium.

Anyway, I've been long winded enough here. Just looking for advice on tires and thought I would post. I don't want to make an expensive mistake here and a new set of tires should outlast me, I'm about to turn 65.

22" Rawhide III is the best bet for your Max. The 22s ride much better than the AT101s.

Good suggestion BUT.....

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    22" Rawhide III is the best bet for your Max. The 22s ride much better than the AT101s.
    Thanks for the advice, but I can't find Rawhide IIIs anywhere. Looks like they are composed of unobtainium. So many options for MaxII tires seem to be unavailable.....

Contact Matt at Mudd-Ox.

The 22” rawhide 111s are available from commercial Goodyear dealers. They are warehoused with the big stuff. I order them when my guy has a truck coming with a shipment.

I guess I'll have to give Mudd-Ox a call to investigate. I did call a Goodyear Commercial supplier in my area and was told the Rawhide III is discontinued and they cannot get them. I may just end up with the Ocelots. The pattern looks good for my use (90+ percent logging roads and hardwood forestry). As I said, water use is a VERY distant secondary consideration but there are a few places on the property where I might need to cross a brook where depth could prevent contact with the bottom for a brief time. I really don't have any intention to use this machine like a boat, and if I ever did I think I would just build a mount for an electric trolling motor or small outboard. I actually have an antique but good running British Seagull motor that would likely be perfect.

I think I'm just looking for a great all around 22x11-8 tire as this is probably the only set I'll ever have to buy for this machine.

+ Reply to Thread