1980 max IV going crazy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1980 max IV going crazy

1980 max IV going crazy

Hi

Im new here and bought a 1980 max IV that came with a 11,5 hp aircooled one cyl honda clone engine , defenetly not the original one.....BUT as this is going to be some of a project thing here it comes.
    I normaly collec the Steyr-Puch-Haflinger....a little 4x4 and a few years ago i bought a American version of this little 4x4 ...they go by the name Patfinder in the u.s and Canada....now the one i bought didnt have the original 2 cyl aircooled boxer engine , but someone had put a kohler command ch18 in it ....now this is not your normal kohler command engine nope this one has all the special and good bits of super cub in it , according the guy who build it he claims that over 2000$ was put into this engine....including new pistons, new sleeves, new camshafts , and what more.....it schould put out around 40HP now.

Well im planning to put a original 2 cyl aircooled boxer in the haflinger and stick the kohler in the max...now is this possible and will the max drivetrain hold up to the power ?

I also would change the place where the engine sits wich is now above the gearbox....i would like to have it lower.....like the 4 chain set up....can this be done .

Here are some pictures and anny advise is apricciated.

The MAX IV

THE DRIVETRAIN

THE SUPERCUB KOHLER

There is or was a whole racing scene with 6x6 and pretty sure there was Max's with well over 40hp in the highest tier classes, but they where pretty built up.
    I'm not really sure what the point of making excessively fast AATVs without suspension is. The faster they are the less capable they become and quickly they just become an overly complicated difficult to drive 4x4 ATV. Thing's like clutches are going to be your biggest issue. I've never done something like this but sure someone can chime in.
    Personally more interested in your other machines those things are cool, would love one.

Quote Originally Posted by allwheeldrive View Post
    There is or was a whole racing scene with 6x6 and pretty sure there was Max's with well over 40hp in the highest tier classes, but they where pretty built up.
    I'm not really sure what the point of making excessively fast AATVs without suspension is. The faster they are the less capable they become and quickly they just become an overly complicated difficult to drive 4x4 ATV. Thing's like clutches are going to be your biggest issue. I've never done something like this but sure someone can chime in.
    Personally more interested in your other machines those things are cool, would love one.
    Here's one...its a '67 Italian version of the Steyr-Puch-Haflinger...you can identify them at the little turnsignal lights above the headlights....only the Italian version has these.

This one is the last Haflinger sold in Belgium.....there were 38 sold by this dealer both in Belgium and the Netherlands... 1974 is the first registration date on this one but i expect it to be a bit older as the dealer used this one for promotion . From the 38 sold i know of 5 still existing.

And this is the American version....called Bugeye or Pathfinder....these ones have the big 7" headlichts becouse steyr-puch could not find sealed beam headlights in the smaller original version...so they came up with this idea....about 200 were shipped to the u.s and Canada.

Last edited by Joeri; 11-10-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Here s a picture of some of the parts that went into the kohler engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeri View Post
    Here's one...its a '67 Italian version of the Steyr-Puch-Haflinger...you can identify them at the little turnsignal lights above the headlights....only the Italian version has these.

This one is the last Haflinger sold in Belgium.....there were 38 sold by this dealer both in Belgium and the Netherlands... 1974 is the first registration date on this one but i expect it to be a bit older as the dealer used this one for promotion . From the 38 sold i know of 5 still existing.

And this is the American version....called Bugeye or Pathfinder....these ones have the big 7" headlichts becouse steyr-puch could not find sealed beam headlights in the smaller original version...so they came up with this idea....about 200 were shipped to the u.s and Canada.

thanks for sharing, beautiful machines!

+ Reply to Thread