!0 HP yanmar diesel

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: !0 HP yanmar diesel

Great little engine! I used one in the BFD for a while, but later swapped it for 3 cylinder D662. The 3 cylinder has more power pulling hills and such with three or four passengers. Jim's right; you'll need to fashion some sort of stub shaft for the clutch.http://
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I'm thinking the black smoke is a side effect of the "China" copy. My Yanmar has never rolled coal. If you watch the videos you'll not see even the tiniest bit of soot, or any sign of exhaust whatsoever.
    As far as HP its all a factor of gearing. If a MaxIV can work on 18hp fine, cut the gearing in half and it will have half the top speed and the exact same amount of torque on 9hp. Likewise if you took that 2 stroke 352 and changed your final drive gearing (assuming there is somewhere between the CVT and the drive train chains to swap a sprocket) you could just cut your gearing in half and get twice the torque and half the speed. Sure that little motor will be screaming high RPM and you won't be moving fast, but it will have the same result of a lower RPM engine with more torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Great little engine! I used one in the BFD for a while, but later swapped it for 3 cylinder D662. The 3 cylinder has more power pulling hills and such with three or four passengers. Jim's right; you'll need to fashion some sort of stub shaft for the clutch.http://
    What type of clutch is that rigged on that kubota? I am not familiar with 6x6s at all. Were you happy with the performance of the 482? I feel like I will be. And where did you get the stub shaft? Will the exmark stub shaft work with it? Surely Kubota makes a shaft for this engine I am sure it is used in applications that require it.

Quote Originally Posted by allwheeldrive View Post
    I'm thinking the black smoke is a side effect of the "China" copy. My Yanmar has never rolled coal. If you watch the videos you'll not see even the tiniest bit of soot, or any sign of exhaust whatsoever.
    As far as HP its all a factor of gearing. If a MaxIV can work on 18hp fine, cut the gearing in half and it will have half the top speed and the exact same amount of torque on 9hp. Likewise if you took that 2 stroke 352 and changed your final drive gearing (assuming there is somewhere between the CVT and the drive train chains to swap a sprocket) you could just cut your gearing in half and get twice the torque and half the speed. Sure that little motor will be screaming high RPM and you won't be moving fast, but it will have the same result of a lower RPM engine with more torque.

Well I have a yanmar L100 on my generator and it doesn't smoke at all under full load. And it runs like a top. I have started mine well into the teens(farenheight) very easily I just use the compression release. How do you "gear down" these things? I am assuming the sprocket size?

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox2020 View Post
    What type of clutch is that rigged on that kubota? I am not familiar with 6x6s at all. Were you happy with the performance of the 482? I feel like I will be. And where did you get the stub shaft? Will the exmark stub shaft work with it? Surely Kubota makes a shaft for this engine I am sure it is used in applications that require it.
    The 482 was great, but would lug down with three or four adults in the machine.
    The clutch is a Salsbury 780; common on a lot of amphibs. Whipper machined the stub shaft for me, so it was perfect. He doesn't frequent the site any more, but any machine shop could probably fashion one for you. Others on this site have made their own with good results as well.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Swampfox, for what its worth I'm running a Yanmar 3 cyl diesel. I sourced a stub shaft from an old John Deere mower (thanks ebay), as Yanmar is used in lots of JD small machines. For $100, a local tool and die shop turned the shaft down from 1-3/8 or so to 1", cut it to length, milled a 1/4 inch keyway, and bored/tapped the 3/8 fine thread needed to hold the clutch in place. I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox2020 View Post
    How do you "gear down" these things? I am assuming the sprocket size?
    Depends on the machine. Some have a jack-shaft with a single sprocket on either side before it gets to the main chain assembly. While not a 6x6 my Coot has a short chain from the transmission to the drive shaft you can really go crazy changing sprockets out anywhere from 4:1 to 1:4 if need be guessing by how much room is around the ones I have in it right now.

does anyone know if the stub shaft off of an Exmark mower will work on the kubota z482 flywheel? It looks like it would be a direct bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The 482 was great, but would lug down with three or four adults in the machine.
    The clutch is a Salsbury 780; common on a lot of amphibs. Whipper machined the stub shaft for me, so it was perfect. He doesn't frequent the site any more, but any machine shop could probably fashion one for you. Others on this site have made their own with good results as well.

what size shaft does the Salsbury clutch require? The stub shaft for an Exmark mower from a Kubota looks like it would be perfect. I might buy it and see if the shaft was to large I could turn it down at work

1" diameter with a 1/4" key

+ Reply to Thread