!0 HP yanmar diesel

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: !0 HP yanmar diesel

!0 HP yanmar diesel

Hello, i just purchased an old swamp fox 6x6. I don't think its the super swamp fox, it is just a swamp fox. Someone has put in a 352 2 stroke golf cart engine in it. Surprisingly it will absolutely hauls. However, I bought it to make a good offload vehicle for here in the mountains. Many steep grades in the woods around here.

The 352 has got to go. I have a generator here that has a Yanmar L100 on it and I just love that little engine. It will run all day like new money. I would like to get the same engine for the swamp fox. What i am wondering would the 10hp diesel be enough power for the 6x6. I don't want a hot rod at all, I could care less if it only goes 15 mph, but do wonder how it will do going up grades. I know most diesels of lower horsepower will do much more than a gas engine of the same horsepower.

From anyones experience with these, will the 10 hp be enough? What i am trying to do is have a reliable tough outland type vehicle. I know there are more powerful engines, but I the gas engines are kind of a turn off to me, and most diesels over the 10hp yanmar start getting heavy fast. Plus I want something that isn't hard one the chains and sprockets.

Any idea?
    Last edited by Moderator Bob; 05-12-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Language

I had the Chinese knock-off of the little Yanmar in the Li'ltruck for a while and it did pretty much whatever we wanted after I tweaked up the fuel. Only problem was that it black-smoked so much under power that no one would ride behind us. The swamp Fox is quite a bit heavier, so that may make a difference. I had to fit a two-stroke clutch to mine, as it had an odd taper on the crank k.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I put a 25hp Chinese diesel in my Super Swamp Fox. Its a powerhouse with probably too much power. The black smoke issue Don referenced is a downside to these motors. They smoke like a freight train. I think 10hp is adequate if you aren't interested in speed. The small engine will allow plenty of space in the engine bay for air flow and maintenance. I say go for it.

when you say black smoke how bad is it? My generator with the yanmar L100 doesn't smoke at all under full load. I know its a tier 4 diesel as well, so it cant be that bad. Maybe the clones are worse? I want it to be able to CLIMB. From what I can tell the 10 hp yanmar has the same torque as a 14 hp gasser.

Seldom really thick, just the strong smell of sulphur.

https://youtu.be/ZVR_9XcCMvw

hey noel...i loved the video, never saw it before . that diesel really moves that swamp fox along. how about adding some '' old spice'' after shave to tone down the smell ? thanks , johnboy va.

Noel what is the weight on your engine? I can get a steal on a Datz 2 cylinder air cooled diesel, but these are heavy. it has 27 hp. Really thats more than I want.

The motor is a Winsun 25hp, it weighs about 150lb., air cooled, its a nice package, but really too much power for the machine. I would like to see the results of the 10hp in a swamp fox. Theres a person that put a 10hp single cylinder in a Coot that has some videos out there and it looks impressive. The Coot is heavier than a swamp fox by several hundred pounds.

well i guess it won't be a 10hp YANMAR. Today i bought a kubota z482 2 cylinder diesel. it has 13.3 horsepower. it is a complete runner including radiator and alternator. the flywheel has a 2 groove pulley for belts. trying to figure out how i can install this motor. it runs great, much quieter than yanmar single cylinder. very light about 120 lbs. it is TINY

You will probably have to build an adapter to bolt onto flywheel with a stub shaft for the clutch.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread