Prairie Bobcat 6x6 amphibious machine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Bobcat 6x6 amphibious machine

Prairie Bobcat 6x6 amphibious machine

Hi everyone, I have a Prairie Bobcat (PB) 6x6 amphibious machine with skid steer type steering which I purchased a few years ago that I'm trying to get running again. After replacing the starter on the 17hp Kohler twin cylinder engine it ran well, but I had a problem with one of the drive chains being too loose, which I attempted to tighten without much success at first, but figured it out later.
    Another issue is that when accelerating to go up a hill or up loading ramps the governor seems to disengage, and I lose power and I can't make it up the ramp or steep hill. It doesn't seem to be a problem when I get a run at it, but if I try to ease up the loading ramps it starts going up and then about half way up the ramps I lose acceleration and the throw-out pulley (like the drive belt pulley on a snowmobile) or whatever it is called widens up and the belt becomes disengaged and the machine looses forward movement. Any information on how to adjust the governor or whatever it is that needs adjusting will be a great help and much appreciated.
    I also have a question about the steering brake bands; the brake bands on the PB are narrow bands that compress around the outer circumference of the drum or rotor instead of compressing the rotor between two pads like found on cars or motorcycles. Is it possible to change this braking/steering system to something like a motorcycle braking system or should I just stick with the existing system, which doesn’t seem like it would work as well and would be harder if not impossible to find parts for? Should I consider operating the braking system with hydraulics instead of using existing linkage system?
    I have a few other questions but will try to address them one or two at a time in future posts.
    Thanks

Welcome bc archer. If I understand, your machine will run fine on flat ground but going uphill you lose engine speed. This doesn't make sense, so I want to pose a question. Do you think that when going uphill, and trying to go slow like you would with loading ramps, you are teetering right around the engine rpm that allows the drive clutch to engage/disengage? Or, does you engine actually drop to idle in these situations?

As far as your transmission question, it sounds like you have a T20. Don't change it as the T20 is rugged and, although some parts can be hard to find, many parts are available. Hopefully your is in good shape.

yes i believe that is the case, just as i get enough rpm to go up the ramp it starts moving forward then all of a sudden the clutch widens and the belt slips because the pulley gets too wide for it to grab. i was thinking it might have something to do with the governor, but i don't know much about them so don't know if my suspicions are correct or it's something else.

BTW the markings on my transmission reads T92-1B so would you say that it is a T92 transmission or is that just how the T20 transmission is marked?
    Thanks

one other question, it is currently not running because i haven't hooked up the ignition wires after removing the cab to get at the drive chain tightening adjuster and it is currently in gear and i can't get it into neutral even with all wheels off the ground. Does this transmission require the engine to be running to engage the transmission into neutral or should i still be able to shift it without it running?

Post a pic so we can see what you have.

wii do

Photos of my Prairie Bobcat 6x6

See attached photos including transmission and drive pulley linkage. Brake linkage pics to follow
    Attached Images

Photos of my Prairie Bobcat 6x6

photos of the left and right side brake linkages, clutch(?) assembly and overhead views of drive system
    Attached Images

archer...that's a cool machine . was interesting the dash diagrams of the clutches and tranny readings. looking forward to watching your project unfold . johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread