It happened, I didn't even try to resist

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It happened, I didn't even try to resist

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    looks good dan....you got the experience to make a great machine for the wife. i understand what the guys are saying about stability in the water . one trade off i have when i built my max2 highboy is that it sits high in the water mostly on the tires and is not very stable . but i am only in deep water at busco sometimes , so i don't mind. the advantage is it will go thru pretty deep water without even flowting . have fun , johnboy va.
    Thank you johnboy, thankfully the max ii taught me alot. Its really easy for me to go wild bench building in my mind and try to solve problems I don't even have lol. I'm thinking in the big foot I want to build a set of pontoons if I'm planning on being in the water, like duck hunting or getting into some of those secret bass holes, also we have a pretty calm creek here called the conodoguinet that we used to canoe kayak tube and raft on. It would be fun to get in on that action even though alot of sections I will be driving and not floating. It's gonna take me some time but the 960 seems to have been a good investment, a few little mods and some elbow grease and the wife will be even happier. She's already showing it off to anyone willing to listen about it. I'm glad she likes these as much as I do.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Tall tub 980,s are pretty sketchy in water so keep that one minimal as far as added weight up high. short 980's aren't terrible, and the 960 size ones are pretty stable. I moved the cage from my 950 to my short tub 980 when i built it and have added a lot of bars and gussets sense (i drive like an idiot and roll it semi-often). Even with the cage it i feels fine to me in calm water. http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/bigf...-img-0006.html
    That's what type of cage my wife wants on her 960, I'm thinking more of roadster type roll bar for the tall tub, just enough so I can't break my neck if I rollover, which might happen if I get rowdy, hopefully not but it is possible. And somewhere to attach a harness to hold me back in the seat better in the washboards. I guess I should just get them reliable and then see what I really need for extra bracing and so on. I know the Bigfoot I want to keep it open in front for easier casting and shooting. I have an idea for an easy to set up light weight blind to hunt from using pex pipe and camo netting. It's easy for me to get way ahead in building in my mind lol.
    DanW

Little progress for the 960 today, picked my wife up an 18 horse vanguard for 40 bucks guy says it will run on ether but won't suck gas, I'm guessing the fuel shutoff on the carb but no matter it will be running soon enough. I'm planning arc rods, remove exhaust restrictors, hedders, rev kit, push rods and 23 horse cam. From what I gather on the tractor forums that's about as budget as it gets and still reliable. My wife will be happy either way I'm sure, at least until I buy those fancy rods and pistons.
    DanW

We have dubbed the 960 as the "Honey Badger". I scored another deal on a 23 vanguard, it's getting the arc rods a rev kit and cheetah cam. It should do pretty well. I have all the chain wiring plumbing and everything else from buying double when I ordered for the Bigfoot plus some parts Johnboy sent to help me along on my wife's 960. Stay tuned....

Edit*** it kind of makes me sad my wife's little vanguard will probably hang right with my big Kohler pulling and I'm sure will be faster top speed from being higher geared. I'm not sure if the shorter 22inch tires will even it out or not.vwe shall find out.
    DanW

Uh oh, last big part of wife's machine as long as her t20 is good. Keeping fingers crossed, gonna be getting real serious on the 960 in the next couple of weeks.
    Attached Images
    DanW

Finally back to it. The pictures do no justice but surprisingly cleaning up well. Quick and dirty rebuild to get her by until the bearings start failing then it will get a frame out. Alot of interesting stuff going on in this tub, I'm not sure if it's all stock or not. If anyone has a right side shift cable or knows where to get them please let me know, the cables move free but the right cable had a kink in it that just keeps bending. I'm hoping to keep the factory split shift. Nothing I see jumping out at me I want to change other than the final drive chain tensioners.
    Attached Images
    DanW

The bearings are tight and smooth and take grease, and pushing old white grease out. I guess it was taken care of a little bit. It's been sitting a few years til now. Any suggestions on greasing the inner bearings? Or just run em til they fail? Needle right through the seal?
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread