Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

Way to cold today. I didn't even want to go out and start the fire.
    No work today.
    Tomorrows another day.

Another cold day, but managed to get my butt in gear and go start the fire in the garage.
    Outside thermometer said 15.
    in the garage....

IMG_0525.jpg

Three hours later....

IMG_0526.jpg

Got all the engine and trans mocked up.
    tomorrow I'll paint and drop it into the tub.

slots to adjust the belt length.
    I'll add jack screws to adjust the position.

IMG_0527.jpg

lots of space between motor and trans.

IMG_0528.jpg

Keiths trans hold down design with a twist.

IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg

amazing fabricating mike ...hope you don't mind me being totally engaged in your project . after designing and building kiddie rides for 15 years , i love the creativity of a build like your doing . my mind starts visualizing whats next and how will it be tackled. latest thing is thinking about your portal boxes and the sprockets and chains in them wondering what size chain , and how will they be able to be tightened if needed. i,m thinking of some kind of the hard plastic chain tensioner material inside the portal half way between the sprockets on one side of the chain that could be adjusted from the outside of the portal by a watertight bolt ... ? or something . maybe you have it figured out already .. and i'll go wow ! what a great idea . j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    amazing fabricating mike ...hope you don't mind me being totally engaged in your project . after designing and building kiddie rides for 15 years , i love the creativity of a build like your doing . my mind starts visualizing whats next and how will it be tackled. latest thing is thinking about your portal boxes and the sprockets and chains in them wondering what size chain , and how will they be able to be tightened if needed. i,m thinking of some kind of the hard plastic chain tensioner material inside the portal half way between the sprockets on one side of the chain that could be adjusted from the outside of the portal by a watertight bolt ... ? or something . maybe you have it figured out already .. and i'll go wow ! what a great idea . j.b.
    Thanks JB.
    I build kiddie rides too, just for bigger kids.

I got a little more room in the garage today...
    Because frame is in the tub! WHOOHOO!

IMG_0531.jpgIMG_0532.jpg

Let the assembly begin.
    Had to trim the skid plates a bit. I only want one layer between box and frame.

IMG_0533.jpg

But not for a few days. Gonna be busy plowing 2 feet of snow which has already started early.
    Glad I got a Max Kubota WG750 with a snow plow ready to go.

I got another idea.

max4_tech_167.jpg

So I warmed up the garage today in anticipation of getting the drive train installed, However...in my excitement of getting my new portal boxes done, I forgot to order new inner bearings! The original start of this thread. DOH!

Ordered new bearings FIRST!

So I just attached the boxes to the frame in tub.
    This took 4 hours today. Fun fun fun.

A little silicone, no water in please, no oil out.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

1/2"-20 grade 8 bolts fit in VERY tightly. Bolts mic'd at .496 so drilled and reamed holes to .496
    No threads in the holes, all shoulder.

IMG_0562.jpg

Torqued to 90 Ft. Lbs.

IMG_0565.jpg

I feel VERY confidant no further support will be needed for these.

Gotta wait for inner bearings to go any further.

IMG_0566.jpg

Had to trim the skid plates so only one layer of material between frame and boxes.

I'll start installing T-20 and laterals.

looking awesome mike ...excellent job. i'm really looking forward to the portal box chains installing , etc. the portals do look very stout . j.b.

i just went back and looked closer at the picture looking down in the portal box. are the 2 bolt holes facing toward the center slotted ? chain tensioning system ? j.b.

+ Reply to Thread