Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i just went back and looked closer at the picture looking down in the portal box. are the 2 bolt holes facing toward the center slotted ? chain tensioning system ? j.b.
    Sorry JB, no slotted holes.

Another five hours in the garage today,
    Got the T-20 and engine mount installed.

IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpg

It's amazing how some of the small stuff can take up so much time. I spend 6 hours today on the shift linkage, though I did make new couplers for the diamond shifters.

IMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_0574.jpg

Got the inner bearings installed.
    I made this centering shaft so i can tighten flanges without axles installed.
    If you try to tighten the flanges without an axle installed, it may not be (and probably won't) be aligned with the outer bearing.
    Smack the shaft while bolts are semi tight to settle bearings straight.

IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg

I marked my bearings so I know where the grease holes are in them, then I line them up with the grease zerk. Just my OCD.

IMG_0577.jpg

Had to pull the boxes back off.
    The bearing retaining bolts interfered with the bottom of the tub.
    Got the heat gun out and will make a few more mods just under the frame.

IMG_0579.jpg

You can see where it was bolted to the frame, and the tub just starts curving under where the bearing flange starts. Not much to move, but just enough to make you go "GRRR"
    Last edited by mfenmor; 02-21-2021 at 01:09 PM.

So changed around the bolts so head is closest to tub, a little more space.

IMG_0580.jpg

Then was able to get the nuts on the attachment bolts. Got a slight tension on them, then heated the tub from the inside at the point they touch. Tightened bolts all the way and added more heat. Tub moved in nicely. Underside had a bulge so propped it up with a 2x6 and let it cool. Perfect imprint of the bolts in the tub now and no pressure on it to rub thru.

IMG_0581.jpg

I had tried to come up with a jig to push in on the tub while heating, then tried freehand, clamps, boards, nothing was going to work. I was about to use longer bolts just to get it started, but then was able to get the nuts on.
    All worked out good.

Great attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    Great attention to detail.
    Thanks Keith.
    I often look at my pictures and see something, then think....I can do that better.

This is a really neat build. The finished product will be impressive.

it's a beautiful thing !! .. i have those same 4'' bearing flanges and good bearings . i have not had to change a bearing in 3 yrs , even after all the mud at busco . because they are so easy to get to , i think being able to wash them off after rides and easy greasing procedure has helped . same with my chains. i'm still excited to see the upcoming portal box chains and tensioning system your creating . good thing i don't live next door you'd have to lock me out , lol j.b.

+ Reply to Thread