Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy goes into a garage to grease bearings.....

got it , thanks . will it be ready for busco ? j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    got it , thanks . will it be ready for busco ? j.b.
    I'm tryin hard. I'm off next week just so I can work on it.

Lots of parts deburring yesterday, but time for assembly.
    Bolted the "new and improved" portal boxes back on. (I do NOT want to do this again)
    Dropped in the transfer chains and sprockets, inserting drive shaft at the same time.
    install seal on the inside then the two drive sprockets.
    Remember that time I said "there will be cussin" when doing this? Well it did not disappoint. Found out I couldn't get my keys inserted. Did some measuring and found them all over the place in dimensions. Spent 4 hours sanding and measuring keys, 96 of them.

IMG_0618.jpgIMG_0617.jpgIMG_0620.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

Lets try this again.
    So I ended up making a tool to push the drive shafts in because while I was hitting them with a mallet the dang keys would fall out, even with grease on them.
    got the seal installed, and portal box sprockets lined up.
    Installed upper and lower outer bearings and torqued.
    Install axle and test fit tire. Looks good!
    All this took 8 hours today for the first install and I haven't centered the drive sprockets in the tub yet.
    About an hour to finish this corner, with all the set screws locktited.
    Then do the opposite side tomorrow so I can get the buckets out from under. Soon they will collapse.
    She's heavy already.

IMG_0627.jpgIMG_0626.jpgIMG_0628.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0630.jpg

WoW!
    That 26" tire looks small now.

IMG_0631.jpgIMG_0632.jpg

mike...beautiful job !! you and i will be sitting up eye to eye .... it looks plenty strong too. what size are the portal chains ? looks like it must have been a tight fit to get the master links on. there really is'nt much need for chain tensioners in the boxes is there ? are you running 26'' or 28 '' tires . looking forward to seeing it in person . hope it's ready for busco . johnboy va.

That is some awesome engineering.
    DanW

That is some awesome work and some awesome engineering. I have several comments and some questions.

1st: those look like Terra tires on your other machine, where did you get them?

Next: I have seen these closed box lubricated gear reduction boxes on over 500 lifted side by sides. They can't turn the large 35" plus tires without these reduction boxes without breaking an axle or smoking a belt. You spent a lot of time and effort building this project and I am sure your frame has additional support to handle the increased stress this lift kit is sure to induce.

Could you possibly adapt some of the current commercial gear reduction boxes to a max or and Argo?

Next comment: the benefits of a 6x6 with more ground clearance are obvious but I am wondering if the machine will swim with the tires going deeper into the water before the tub provides flotation? We will have to wait for that one but an added benefit might be that you can keep in touch the the surface under the water while other AATV's have to swim. This could be a great advantage under certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    mike...beautiful job !! you and i will be sitting up eye to eye .... it looks plenty strong too. what size are the portal chains ? looks like it must have been a tight fit to get the master links on. there really is'nt much need for chain tensioners in the boxes is there ? are you running 26'' or 28 '' tires . looking forward to seeing it in person . hope it's ready for busco . johnboy va.
    Hey JB,
    The portal chains are #50-H as I have a huge roll of it. I installed both the sprockets with the chain on it, but then got to thinking about if I have to replace it. No problems, the link will come off.
    I do not need adjusters, you guessed it! Because the length is so short will not wear much, but just in case I do have a plan to make very small adjustments.
    Tires are going to be 28", see pics in earlier posts.
    I'm kinda wondering if I'll get it done in time now.
    IMG_0619.jpg
    Mike.
    Last edited by mfenmor; 03-16-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    That is some awesome engineering.
    Thanks Dan.

+ Reply to Thread