debris wrapping around axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: debris wrapping around axles

debris wrapping around axles

So I just got my Beaver Dam hybrid tracks and I don't recall having this problem with just the tires on, granted I'm going places now I never could before, so far I've been able to go anywhere in my marsh, anyway I'm getting a lot of debris- cattails, longmarsh grass, etc wrapping around the axles between hub and body, to the point it's as big as the tires, worst is rear axle front chains are removed, any way to prevent or reduce this build up?if not how are you guys removing?I'm using a sharp utility k ife and alot of muscle takes 15-20 per axle to clean up

You can try taking plastic tubing such as plumbing or electrical that has the correct inside dia. and cut in half lengthwise. Then glue back together around axle between hub and bearings where all the debris are building up making sure it can rotate freely.

sounds easy enough,I'll give it a try,Thanks.

Pretty sure I read before that 1 -1/2" pvc pipe will work

I just reinstall the plastic sleeves with gorilla tape. It helps a lot. Also make up a hook with sharp inner edge. I make them out of old screwdrivers. Use to hook and cut grass. I had a customer a few years ago that had 3 trash cans of grass on the axles.

Thanks for all the suggestions,I like the screwdriver idea for cutting thru the grass,should give more leverage than a utility knife

Tape would be the way to go. So much easier all the way around.

I’m fairly new to Argos and only drive mine into my cabin which is 1/4 mile through cattail loon muck swamp, it takes me 30 minutes to clean off the axles, glad I’m not the only one.

so I was thinking about the screwdriver tool and its design,and came up with a idea of using a linoleum knife,which already has the hook and sharpened edge,so I bought one for $5 at harbor frieght,its 8 inches long with a molded rubber handle and finger grips,with a area of serrated edge also,and man did that baby cut right thru that stuff with ease!and was very easy to hang onto.again Thank everyone for their suggestions or I probably would have never came up with this!

awesome !! j.b.

+ Reply to Thread