Argo Avenger Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Argo Avenger Rebuild

Not to much progress over the last week.
    The frame for two coats of Rust Bullet sprayed on, and I have one more to do this weekend. 20-12-08 16:52:44.jpg

Once I removed the the muffler from the engine I found a strange piece of metal sitting on top of the exhaust valve... super weird.
    20-12-08 16:51:16.jpg

I took a look using a cheap USB inspection camera and the valve looks OK, so I'm thinking that piece fell out of the muffler.
    20201207_192659.jpg

The muffler was making a strange rattling noise as well, and the camera revealed a round piece of metal that's loose inside. Does Anyone have a clue what it is?? My best guess is part of a baffle...
    20201205_221130.jpg
    Last edited by Joshwho44; 01-03-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Not too much excitement since my last post but things are slowly progressing. The for mid axles are installed as well as the front and rear bearing extensions.
    20210103_154220.jpg

The front bearing extensions were surprisingly hard to install due to the combination of cold weather and an unheated garage. In in 30 degrees weather the body had shrunk almost 1/2" in length and none of the front axle holes lined up with the frame. I had to heat the body with a propane torpedo heater and then everything lined up.

I found a weird issue with one of the mid axle outer bearing flanges. I'm not sure why, but the axle is off-center in the flange (see photo). Has anyone seen this before?
    20210103_154157.jpg

The muffler was making a strange rattling noise as well, and the camera revealed a round piece of metal that's loose inside. Does Antony have a clue what it is?? My best guess is part of a baffle...
    Attachment 18514
    Exactly

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwho44 View Post
    Not too much excitement since my last post but things are slowly progressing. The for mid axles are installed as well as the front and rear bearing extensions.
    Attachment 18538

The front bearing extensions were surprisingly hard to install due to the combination of cold weather and an unheated garage. In in 30 degrees weather the body had shrunk almost 1/2" in length and none of the front axle holes lined up with the frame. I had to heat the body with a propane torpedo heater and then everything lined up.

I found a weird issue with one of the mid axle outer bearing flanges. I'm not sure why, but the axle is off-center in the flange (see photo). Has anyone seen this before?
    Attachment 18537
    That is weird.is the axle bent?

maybe it's possible the inner bearing on that axle is off center . if so , you may want to drill new mount holes for that bearing in order to make sure the chain sprocket is in line with the other sprockets and not cocked a bit , so the chain is running straight. just a thought . johnboy va.

Is there a bearing inside that flange? Perhaps once upon a time a bearing failed and allowed the axle to run against the flange, wearing it off center.

That is weird.is the axle bent?
    The axle is brand new, most of the old ones were bent.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    maybe it's possible the inner bearing on that axle is off center . if so , you may want to drill new mount holes for that bearing in order to make sure the chain sprocket is in line with the other sprockets and not cocked a bit , so the chain is running straight. just a thought . johnboy va.
    I'll try and measure the distance between the inner bearing and the the adjacent inner bearing and compare to the other side. The bearings and stamped flanges are new, only the outer cast flange was reused.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Is there a bearing inside that flange? Perhaps once upon a time a bearing failed and allowed the axle to run against the flange, wearing it off center.
    The inner and outer bearings are both new and were installed in that photo. The old bearings weren't in great shape, it's possible that one spun and wore the flange. I might go ahead and pull that axle assembly apart and inspect the inside of the flange.

+ Reply to Thread