Argo Avenger Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argo Avenger Rebuild

Argo Avenger Rebuild

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and currently rebuilding a 2007 Avenger 700 that my dad owned for the last 5 years. He was using the machine to make the 1/2 mile drive from the farm house to the duck blind. Last winter it threw an idler chain and had been sitting in the shed until I picked it up in July.

20200727_183607.jpg 20200620_180534.jpg 20200626_131145.jpg

Since then I've been acquiring parts as it clearly needed all chains and bearings replaced. During the disassembly I found that most of the axles were frozen in place and the inners (with the stamped hub) were all bent.

The bigger surprise was to find the outer idler shaft bearings were completely gone! On both sides the idler shaft was wearing against the bearing retainers...the balls and outer races had grenaded and were scattered about the inside of the tub. I also found where someone installed an outer bearing in place of an outer and the axle was flopping all around...not sure what Einstein was wrenching on this thing previously

At this point I'm way more invested into this than I had planned (new axles, bearings, chains, axle seals, brake discs, idler shafts, all sprockets. Basically everything that rotates was trashed but I couldn't tell until all the grease and dirt was washed off. I probably could have reused most of the sprockets, but they were showing a lot of wear and I don't want to rebuild the machine again for a while.

I ended up removing the upper tub and have everything removed from the lower tub aside from the frame. After pressure washing the whole thing, it's pretty clear the frame needs to come out for painting.

20201110_200110.jpg

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm a little scared to cut those "Magna grip" rivets that hold the frame/tub/skid together, as I have no way to reinstall those. I'm not sure if I could use standard blind rivets or bolts/washers as they won't be waterproof.

-Josh
    Attached Images

You can use bolts, I've done it before.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks ARGOJIM. Did you have to do anything to seal the holes?

I also found this tool today, I think it would work to replace the Magna Grip fasteners. https://www.baysupply.com/2673364/Pr...l-Tool-GO-12-P

That looks like it would work. When I used bolts I just used fender washers for the seal, you could add silicone and smaller washers.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Today I cleaned up the powerpack frame, it was super grimy and a little bent where the transmission bolts up.

Unfortunately there is a pretty substantial crack on both sides of the frame. I'm not sure if it's due to the transmission being overtorqued or some other reason. Is it a common failure in these machines? I'm trying to decide if it's best to straighten it up and weld the cracks or if it needs some reinforcement added to the sides...
    20201124_165254.jpg 20201124_165239.jpg

nice job your doing on your machine...argo jim will give you some good guidance . seems as long as cracked frame parts are out , reinforce those cracks and weld it up . then you know it's good to go. enjoy the process , i like watching the work unfold .. johnboy va.

Thanks for the help so far argo Jim and johnboy. I've never owned anything quite like this before.

I'm still debating how to strengthen the powerpack frame. I drilled a small hole at the end of each crack and TIG welded both sides using ER70-6 filler. It was clamped to the table for welding and allowed to cool... came out pretty straight, but I'd still like to strengthen it, just trying to decide how.
    Attached Images

Your welds look good. Perhaps bolt the transmission back in the frame along with the brake discs and figure your bracing from there, if there is enough room perhaps you could cover the existing bolt holes with your plate. Just continue to check clearances as you go and don't forget the mount through bolt lock nut tab unless there is enough room to go inside.

I gotta know, what the heck is bolted to that vanguard in picture 4? A trash pump?

Thanks, but it's mainly the result of having access to decent welding equipment... the fabricator at work is currently out on vacation so I've been making myself at home! The vehicle frame is getting sandblasted right now so I'll check fitment when I get it back home.

I'm not sure if it should tear down the transmission next, I checked and it's an earlier model without the updated retaining ring or reverse gear.

Also, is it worthwhile to reinstall the front tensioners or not? It looks like Argo did away with those later on.

+ Reply to Thread