B&s 18hp vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: B&s 18hp vanguard

B&s 18hp vanguard

hi would anybody have a repair manual for a 18hp vanguard? Having issues with my response.

can't find it on;ine?

What is your issue (S)?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

My engine the muffler is glowing red i changed the fuel pump dint make a difference changed fuel lines and filter still nothing cleaned the carb like 6 times changed air filter still nothing it keeps fouling plugs plug come out black and puffs black smoke and when shutting it down after running it it back fires plz help its bugging me its start real good some times it starts fine without choke and sometimes you need choke the compression is at 170 in one and 168 in the other and adjusted the valves

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    From what I have been reading it could be timing. You said the engine backfired. It can jar the flywheel enough to shift on the crank enough to throw it out of time slightly. It could be a lean carb, although with what you have described in the fuel area, doesn't sound like fuel unless your high speed jet is blocked partly and not getting the proper fuel. The Vanguard carbs are kind of finicky. Have you put the carb through an ultrasonic bath? The plug may be fouling due to a rich idle circuit. Or it could be a leaking exhaust valve. You could have sufficient compression for the engine to run ok and the compression may be higher in a cold engine when likely you have done your compression tests. As the engine heats up everything expands which COULD, not saying it will, but could decrease the ability to close off you exhaust valve properly. These are just things I have read on different small engine sites. While I have had engines that the muffler glowed red, I never did anything about them.

Whats the best way to check to see if the valves close properly? And how do I check for timing does it have a key for the flywheel ? Can you see it ? And no just cleaned the carb with carb cleaner

I put a ignition timing tester ?on it it seemed ok

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    The only way I ever checked for timing was when it had a set of points. Otherwise I would check to see if the flywheel had shifted by either pulling the flywheel or at least getting to a point where I could see if the flywheel had shifted. Make sure that your valve clearence is proper. I believe that it is .004-.006 on both intake and exhaust. If not as the engine gains temperature the valve lash gets less and the valve may not close properly.

Oh ok ill try and check the flywheel tonight I'm in the process of installing a alternator so its a good time to check if I pull the fan off should I be able to see the key ?

I did check the valve clearance and adjusted them

+ Reply to Thread