B&s 18hp vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: B&s 18hp vanguard

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    You have to go as far as taking the nut off that holds the flywheel on. Take it off and the flat washer and you should be able to see the keyway.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Something I have done in the past with 2 stoke motors, was start with a new set of plugs, do a high speed run and then shut the engine down immeadiatly and then check the colour of the plugs. Grey to tan is good , light grey to white you are running lean.

20210309_220223.jpgI checked the key and it looks good from what I can see i did put a new set of plug and they fouled they were black with soot and it only glow red at night and when wot thats when it glows

with the engine running do you have good exhaust flow? Wondering if your muffler isn't partly clogged
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It seems good from what I can see

Would anybody else have any ideas im loosing sleep at night its driving me nuts and need to fix it for hunting?

Hi. Have you checked to make sure it has the correct jetting in the carb? Have you had this machine for a while or just bought it? Have you checked for carb and intake gasket air leaks? Also carb float setting and air/ fuel adjustment screw?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_p26 View Post
    Attachment 18674I checked the key and it looks good from what I can see i did put a new set of plug and they fouled they were black with soot and it only glow red at night and when wot thats when it glows
    I'd be tempted to say the idle circuit or float level are causing the black smoke and fouling issue unless the bowl gasket has gone bad.
    As far as the glowing red at night is it full on full muffler cherry red or red tints at the ends? Could be as simple as the prefilter ( even for the fouling, I throw them away on my briggs) esp. if you have oil on the foam, a little red at night at wot is normal in my opinion definitely if machine is loaded or climbing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I checked the carb and the pilot jet was alittle clogged so I'm starting to think its the carb I cleaned it it seems a bit better I changed the bowl gasket but still doing it what would I be able to use to soak the carb ?

can you purchase a reconditioned carb anywhere ? online , etc, if it's not any problem with the main engine ( rings,timing , etc. ) it may be worth trying another carb. johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread