B&s 18hp vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: B&s 18hp vanguard

rob ...cal the guys at ec performance 615 446 6807 . they seem to be very knowledgable on vanguard engines and carburetors . j.b.

Rob,
    You indicated that you cleaned the carb multiple times. I don't know your skill level, but to properly clean a carb you must remove and completely disassemble it. It needs to be soaked overnight in cleaning solution and every tiny passage should be blown out. If you haven't done this you need to before you go any further.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    If the carb is a Nikki two barrel, there is an "o" ring kit for them. These carbs are riddled with tiny passages that have to be clean. As suggested, disassemble and soak in a carb cleaner, put it thru an ultrasonic cleaner, blow all passages out. The "o"ring kit is inexpensive unless you live in Canada, then you can get hosed buying one out of the States. Sorry for any Americans who are offended but the shipping to Canada is horrendous in a lot of cases. Ask me how I know(!). Maybe the same way Canada to the States. I don't know. Anyway, the carb kit of "o"rings has two tiny little dinky "o"rings that fit on two small jets. A right and a left.DO NOT GET THE JETS MIXED UP. You have to change them one at a time. There are other shaped round and flat gaskets. One has two larger holes and four small holes. These have to open. The small holes can close up for some reason. All small holes have to be clean. You may have to take a very fine wire and clear the holes. I had one so bad I ended up buying a Chinese knock off. It worked fine. $55.00 Can with free shipping. Had to wait a couple of weeks(more like 6) but at the time I was not in a hurry. When I went to Briggs school, one year we had a six hour seminar on carburators. Yes they can be very frustrating. 80% of small engine problems are fuel related. 90%of fuel problems are carburation. I hope you get the problem sorted out. Let us know how you make out.

Ya my carb is the single barrel carb and ya i only took the jets out and blow the passages with carb clean and blow the jets with carb clean and air but I definitely want to soak it what would be a good cleaner to use like house hold cleaner ?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_p26 View Post
    Ya my carb is the single barrel carb and ya i only took the jets out and blow the passages with carb clean and blow the jets with carb clean and air but I definitely want to soak it what would be a good cleaner to use like house hold cleaner ?
    Acetone works great, but will swell any rubber parts so you need to remove ant O-rings before soaking
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Raw gas will also loosen up the gunk in a carb. It is not as harsh as acetone but may not be as effective. Never used it. i used simple green in the purple (? why isn't it called simple purple)bottle in the ultrasonic cleaner. They work very good unless the carb is actually worn out. Gas, like water, will errode what ever it is flowing over given enough volume and time. When you think of how many gallons of gas actually goes thru a carburator, you can see where maybe the carb just needs to be replaced.

Been out of the loop for a while. the Nikki two barrel are used on the Intec engines. Have only had one vanguard engine in the last couple of years. As I recall a good cleaning fixed the only problem I had with it and it was in a lawn mower.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    Raw gas will also loosen up the gunk in a carb. It is not as harsh as acetone but may not be as effective. Never used it. i used simple green in the purple (? why isn't it called simple purple)bottle in the ultrasonic cleaner. They work very good unless the carb is actually worn out. Gas, like water, will errode what ever it is flowing over given enough volume and time. When you think of how many gallons of gas actually goes thru a carburator, you can see where maybe the carb just needs to be replaced.
    Walmart has carb cleaner/soak in a one gallon can with basket. Works the best and safer than comestible fuel and acetone.

IMG_0633[1].jpg

I am old school I guess. Back in the day when I was dinking with snowmobile engines a lot, I was told by a very well informed dealer not to soak the carbs in carb cleaner. The reason being , at that time the aluminum or whatever metal that they used was not as good a quality as now and could become pourous. The carbs would either leak gas or suck air. To fix that problem, the manufacturer put a varnish like coating on them. Anyone who has played with the older carbs and has had one that looked like the ClearCoat was coming off knows what I mean.Gas or that type of cleaner wouldn't hurt the carb. U tuber Mustie1 uses carb cleaner in his ultrasonic cleaner. He doesn't seem to have any problems. Walmart Canada doesn't carry anything like that, at least not in our store. Priced it at Ideal supply....somewhere around 60 bucks a can. Need two cans for my cleaner. Ain't happening.

Another useful tool for cleaning jets is a welders tip cleaner. They in very tiny sizes, usually come in assorted sizes similar to a feeler gauge pack. Soaking doesn't always do the job when the jets are badly varnished, or clogged.

+ Reply to Thread