on going starter issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: on going starter issue

on going starter issue

ever since i bought my 2012 hdi ive had and issue where 50% of the time when i try to start it i get only a click and no crank.release the key and try again and away it goes as it should.initially i thought the battery may have been weak so i chucked a good agm battery in but the same thing happened.took the starter out and replaced it with my brand new spare but got the same result.changed the spade connector that goes to the starter solenoid but there ws no change.i wired in a separate relay that took power right from the main power from battery then to the the starter solenoid.but it just looked gawdy and seemed like an accident waiting to happen so i removed it.is it possible that i have defective key switch?or maybe the wire going to the starter solenoid is not big enough to carry the voltage?or is there a starter relay in there somewhere that not right? im grasping at straws here,lol and need some direction. thanks

start checking, moving, wiggling grounds. add a ground strap from the engine to the battery. you can even test this with jumper cables. another way to find the issue is to wash the machine and try to start it. look for steam coming off anything while trying to crank and this will point to a bad connection. may also just be a bad solenoid, these tend to use the cheap lawn and garden type. try jumping the 2 large contacts on the solenoid a dozen times. if it cranks over every time the solenoid is probably the issue. i just use a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to jump those
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    start checking, moving, wiggling grounds. add a ground strap from the engine to the battery. you can even test this with jumper cables. another way to find the issue is to wash the machine and try to start it. look for steam coming off anything while trying to crank and this will point to a bad connection. may also just be a bad solenoid, these tend to use the cheap lawn and garden type. try jumping the 2 large contacts on the solenoid a dozen times. if it cranks over every time the solenoid is probably the issue. i just use a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to jump those

You beat me to the punch Racerone, On my Max is was always a ground strap issue but I did have a solenoid go out on my max, there is also a possibility of a dead cell in your battery.

the starter has the solenoid built into it,not external.i went through it a few years ago and checked the grounds then again in the spring when i had the engine out and sitting on the bench.i will try the extra ground strap from battery to the engine though,thats a great idea. thanks guys.

When you bypassed the original setup did you problem go away?

Question:does this intermittent problem occur on a cold engine.? I have a similar problem but only occurs with a hot engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray40 View Post
    Question:does this intermittent problem occur on a cold engine.? I have a similar problem but only occurs with a hot engine.
    The problem occurs for me hot or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdu View Post
    When you bypassed the original setup did you problem go away?
    I never really gave it a chance,the gawd awfull mess of wires turned me off so i removed it and went back to factory.

Assuming the new starter and battery are good all is left is ign sw ,wiring and solenoid. If youre getting a click probably switch is fine . I would make sure all wiring and connections are clean. Clean ring terminals battery connections. make sure no white powder on wires. Make sure ground connection on block is clean.your starter grounds thru its body so as long as the block mount is clean. Adding a ground to the starter would help anyways.
    Can swap relay as well
    Does your machine have a neutral safety switch?
    If so bypass it and see if any change.

The ground to a starter bolt may help, I believe Kohler engines may to be cleaned where the starter meets the block now and again.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread