on going starter issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: on going starter issue

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The ground to a starter bolt may help, I believe Kohler engines may to be cleaned where the starter meets the block now and again.
    thanks argo jim,will add that to my list of tests.

here is a how to on adding a solenoid.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/threa...-issue.210940/

and here is a thread i found on the issue https://www.mytractorforum.com/threa...ractor.131077/

tomorrow after work i will start running through all the suggestions and if none work i will throw that relay back on and give it a chance.
    Last edited by plott hound; 12-08-2020 at 05:47 PM.

As I suggested earlier this problem is so similar to the one had, except mine only occurred with a hot engine during summer temps . And invariably on the second crank it would fire up. Some heavy equipment friends suggested “heat soak”( google).
    Installed a heat shield between starter and engine block....so far no dreadful “click” miles (opts kms) back in the bush. BTw I’m driving 04 Argo avenger.

thanks for that murray40.i had a really good look at everything today and of course the starter engaged evertime i tried it,no click.i wired the bosch relay in again and will leave it alone and see if the click is eliminated.if it does maybe i will chase the green wire back from the starter to the key switch and see if i can replace it with a heavier wire?????

Intermittent problems are always the worse to correct. One other change I made was disconnect the cooling fans from the ignition and wired them to a separate toggle switch. Not sure about newer models, but as soon as the ignition was turned, before cranking mode, the fans on mine would be running.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray40 View Post
    As I suggested earlier this problem is so similar to the one had, except mine only occurred with a hot engine during summer temps . And invariably on the second crank it would fire up. Some heavy equipment friends suggested “heat soak”( google).
    Installed a heat shield between starter and engine block....so far no dreadful “click” miles (opts kms) back in the bush. BTw I’m driving 04 Argo avenger.
    how did you manage to install a heat sheild bettween the engine and the starter?

The quick answer.....with difficulty. As u probably know Argo repair generally requires a little inspector Gadget/Macgiver know-how. However, I made the shield from a piece of v thin reflective sheet metal. Cut it to shape and sled it in between the block and starter. Pulled the two sides out, lapped and fastened. Not pretty but works. Caution:make sure the terminals on the starting unit are completely covered to prevent arcing with the sheet mental.

well after 15-20 starts i have not got the dreaded click.looks like the bosch 5 pin relay is the easy solution.gonna neaten up the wiring a bit then stick a fork in it and see what happens.

so after messing with this issue for about 7 years,i finally bought and installed a new ignition switch.problem solved,what a pisser.hard to beleive that a 20 dollar part would cause me so much greif. hope this helps someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdu View Post
    Assuming the new starter and battery are good all is left is ign sw ,wiring and solenoid. If youre getting a click probably switch is fine . I would make sure all wiring and connections are clean. Clean ring terminals battery connections. make sure no white powder on wires. Make sure ground connection on block is clean.your starter grounds thru its body so as long as the block mount is clean. Adding a ground to the starter would help anyways.
    Can swap relay as well
    Does your machine have a neutral safety switch?
    If so bypass it and see if any change.
    just a follow up to my old thread.the new ignition switch did not solve the problem.skirdu nailed it and i somehow missed his reply.the spade connectors at the neutral safety switch were loose.tightened them up with a squeeze from the pliers put a dap of dieletric grease on them and now im golden.hope this helps someone else.

+ Reply to Thread