Hustler belt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler belt

Hustler belt

Hey guys wondering if y'all ran into this before, I have a ? Year Hustler with a 16hp Kohler, the belt I'm using is a dayco max 1078. It works ok but is a little loose for my liking. Tranny pulley is 9" the engine shaft pulley is 1 3/8", center to center is 13 3/8", supposed to be 1 3/16" wide but I think 1 1/4"could work ,any math genius's out there to tell me what belt length I should using? I've read 1" play is what you want? Been lurking for years y'all are a wealth of information

tex..i'm not familiar with hustlers but wondered if you the motor is adjustable on it's mounting plate to take up a little on the belt . good luck , johnboy va.

On the Hustlers that we have rebuilt, there was no provision for belt adjustment. The engine and the transmission were both solid mounted. I always wondered about that because the rest of the machine seemed so well thought-out. We incorporated a slide for the engine on our machines in order to get proper belt tension, but it is a job to change over.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

It's non adjustable, I did slot the mounting holes about a 1/4" when I had the motor out years ago so not much wiggle room. Think I might go Don's route and make a plate and get a shorter belt. I can't move the engine back much further because of air cleaner clearance issues (factory motor and cleaner), is 1" of belt deflection correct? Right now it's around 3"+

Tex you are correct on the 1 inch of deflection. Let me do some digging and find a handy guide for belt length given center distances.....for the comet 780 setup.

Here's what I found. First, so you will have a good resource, Google "quality drive systems" and find their 2009 Baja catalogue. Lots of good info on cvt's in the first 20 or so pages.

If your drive clutch isn't 7.25 inches diameter, and your driven clutch isn't 9.25 inches diameter, the following is bad information.......Your center to center distance is 13.375. Catalogue shows a belt for a 13.21 center to center- part no. 301195. Here's a belt: https://beltpalace.com/comet301195.html

Unfortunately finding the right belt is sometimes trial and error. The belt above has a 46 inch outside circumference. Measure your existing belt for comparison.

Thanks for the info dirtdobber, I found a old stock max 1080 for $18 free shipping on eBay, it's 46 3/16" close enough to 46"for the price. I measured my deflection the right way and it's 2 1/8" seemed looser eyeballing it , my old belt is 46 5/8" (max 1078),so being 7/16"shorter my deflection should now be 1 1/4" in theory?

Your deflection will be less for sure. Also, if your old belt has lost some width due to wear that can cause excess deflection.

IMG_20210101_151624792_HDR.jpgIMG_20210101_151605882_HDR.jpgIMG_20210101_151556043_HDR.jpgIMG_20210101_151331906_HDR.jpgUpdate. Belt came in yesterday and installed today. Pushing down hard I have 1" deflection 😃. Yard is wet so only drove it to the driveway, taking in hunting in the marsh in the morning . It did good with the looser belt last marsh trip, hopefully this one will give me more low and top end.

Hopefully it will work fine. The thing you want is the belt to be just tight enough that it tries to spin the driven clutch. If its too tight and constantly spins the driven clutch then you will grind the gears every time you change F-N-R. It may also cause your belt to overheat.

This video is how my machine is set up. Although the driven spins at idle it stops with just a little resistance. I have no problems shifting or belt squealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkUjcR-opE

+ Reply to Thread