Rubber track question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rubber track question

Rubber track question

Hello Argo world

I a newbie to the Argo world and just picked up my first argo , a 2011 Argo 750 hdi
    My main use will be for trapping here in Ontario , easier to bring the family instead of loading up 3 sleds lol .

I picked up a set of rubber tracks used but didn’t realize till after I got home but they are to small , after digging a bit I see my issue! The guy I got them from had them on a 2002 conquest 8 wheel , seems the wheel base is roughly 7 inches bigger on my hdi , not really wanting to purchase more (if I can even find a pair highly unlikely) what are my options??

I thought maybe if I can get a damaged track / ****ty one I could buy the steel hinges and basically patch in the section of track I’m missing??? If I set up right I’m roughly measuring 18 inches short .

Also could anyone tell me the overall length of there tracks? That would be most helpful ,
    Thanks for your time guys
    Can’t wait to get on the trapline with this rig

different tire sizes on conquest vs avenger. Not just circumference (which determines length, corner tires specifically), but width. You’ll have to remove/reinstall all tire guidesto fit your existing 12” wide vs 10” wide tires. Also, the longer wheelbase means a +14” increase for new track length (this would be true if tire sizes on both machines were the same. But, they are not), so you’ll be in the neighborhood of an additional +10” (on top of 14” already) you will need to lengthen because of the jump from 22” to 25” tires. Best bet is to look up the total track length in inches for an Argo HDI w/25” tires and then splice in the additional amount. It is kind of a pain in the butt doing this to a argo factory rubber style track (but doable). It will require more tire guides (not to mention moving all existing guides to a wider position). I prefer to splice tracks in the middle whenever I significantly lengthen or shorten tracks so that you don’t have to mess with the hinge. If your new machine happens to have 24x10-8 tires, things change a bit from what I described-Jeff
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-29-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks for the input , yes my machine has 24x10 s on it now ,
    Does anyone have the overall length of a set? I have been googling it for it days now ��

Quote Originally Posted by Moose85 View Post
    Thanks for the input , yes my machine has 24x10 s on it now ,
    Does anyone have the overall length of a set? I have been googling it for it days now ��
    Tire batches always seem to vary quite a bit. Variation in tire sizes from 1 machine to the next easily changes a perfect fit by 1-2”.
    Since your already adding a splice, go ahead and measure the overall length by wrapping a soft tape around all tires (just like a track would) with the corner tires at 0 psi. Stop 1” shy of bringing the measurement ends together (Make sure all of the slop is out). That should be just about right with your tires @ 5psi when track is installed. Make sure you index your tires properly (which will put smallest pair on corners). Make sure tires are this way for your length measurement.
    If for some reason you need to snug up the track tighter than that (which is sometimes necessary on flat tracks), then 1) get track tuners, then #2)swap your #2 axle tire to #4, and #3 axle tire to #1. Your largest tires will now be on the corners and effectively tighten your track equivalent to shortening track by 1-2”.
    You’ll have plenty of tub clearance for bigger 24” tires on the corners to do this before proceeding to making a shorter splice if necessary. But try bigger tires on corners first. That should snug it up enough. And again, that may not even be necessary. With 5 psi in the corner tires, you should have 2-3” track sag under middle tires.
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-31-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Do you have the track assembly guide? Measurements for 25" tire track is listed.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Buzz

I’m a new guy on here. I keep reading all your posts. Keep it up. I’ve learned so much from just watching. Doing a revamp on a Bigfoot. Cheers Johnny

+ Reply to Thread