6x6 track tuner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6x6 track tuner

6x6 track tuner

just wondering if a track tuner freewheeling the center tire and wheel on a max 2 with tracks would add to the performance , etc. pros , cons ? thanks , johnboy va,

I actually looked for this last night. With the Adairs I would assume the track tuner in the center axle could help you if both the front and rear were driving as there is some slip in adairs. I believe you do have aggressive tires so either the front chain removal or the center freewheeling should aid if you are having binding issues. I have a customer using adairs stock max ii setup with no issues other than breaking chains from the seat belt getting caught.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I agree with Jim. I think the best solution of the two for a Max2 is to remove the front chains however. This is referred to as the high torque solution since the rear and middle driven axles provide the majority of the power on a Max2. The front chains are very easy to bind and can either break or can destroy the bearings.

The green Max2 I have, a 2001 model came with the factory rubber tracks and side bars. I purchased it with damaged chains up front and the front bearings were well worn even though the machine showed only 45 hours. The rest of the machine appeared new. I picked this machine up in 2010 on the cheap. I replaced the front chains and the worn bearings, just to note at 70 hours that my front chains were binding again and well worn.

I disconnected the front chains, and replaced the rubber tracks with Adair tracks, and have been virtually problem free, less the time when a rear chain adjuster failed and made me hobble back to the trailer.

thanks to both of you. i'm not really having any binding issues...was thinking more about gaining any power , which sounds like it would be minimal . i have run the max 2 highboy at busco with front chains removed and it seemed to perform just about as well as all chains . only in some real slippery mud ( or wet snow ) did i get some tire slippage in the tracks , but in those situations the front wheel driving may not have made that much difference . i've watched so many videos of those russian tracked machines with tracks only running the rear tires powered . they seem to perform in mud and snow very well . was interesting to hear noel that the rear and middle max 2 axles provide most of the power , never knew that . i like having the front chains off when tracks are on . j.b.

they will reduce slipping load. Most reliable way to run tracks is with both corner tires driving. Otherwise you depend on the track being much tighter, otherwise tires can slip and fail to drive track. Running a track too tight is probably the worst thing you can do.

John I would check your rpm and belt tension, your machine always seemed lazy. That 21 should move everything stoutly and make the tracks not only walk but chew.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

thanks buzz and jim....i did figure the front and rear tires were most important for driving the tracks . if i'm not having any chain binding issues ( which i have'nt ) no need to not run all chains especially if freewheeling the center wheel does'nt add much power. actually at busco last october with all the bad mud , the max with tracks did really well . i've never run the tracks real tight either. lost one that day , but mud was really slippery. i wondered if it was too loose . then here comes dan back to camp with one of his tracks off his new machine .. and those tracks were pretty tight . i did find later jim , i was not getting full throttle.. fixed that and it's made a big difference in power and speed . and just lately have been thinking this weekend to check my belt tension. always appreciate the input ! thanks and joyous new year to you and yours , j.b.

+ Reply to Thread