I am confused

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am confused

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.

I am confused

I have been reading so much about tracks, track tension, track tuners, tire pressure. ... l think my tiny little brain is going to explode. Will a set of track tuners help on my 91 Vanguard 6x6 with super tracks? I have just aquired the machine, replaced the bearings, chain and tires. I really don't want to be replacing all this again too soon. I have the capability and access to all the equipment and tooling to build my own tuners. Would it be worth it on a 6x6? It seems to me, from what I have read, that tuners apply more to 8x8 argos. I have read that it seems to benifit some other brands or have I missed something?

I believe that on your machine the track tuners are not a necessity. Especially if you don't drive in an aggressive manner. My experience has been that the tuners are more of an 8x8 item due to the more complex drive-train and the increased likelihood of chain binding.

I have several 6x6 machines with rubber tracks, and Adair tracks and never had a necessity for tuners on any of those. The Argo super tracks as well as other makes increases the load on the drive train will shorten the lifespan of bearings and chains but a good maintenance program will get as much longevity as possible.

Hope this helps. I know when I first got into this hobby, there seemed to be a lot of things to mentally digest and to learn. The good news is that it all gets easier to understand as you go through the process and talk with others.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 01-08-2021 at 01:50 PM.

The Argo plastic Super tracks do not need tuners. They will allow the center tire to slip when need to compensate for any tire size difference. The track systems that benefit from the use of track tuners are the type where the side belts are elevated and go up off the ground and around the tire side walls. The Super tracks are a very light and non-aggressive track compared to Chanel and Escargo. What is important is to index the tires and put the tire pressure in each tire as recommended by Argo.

laird ... i asked the same question the other day regarding my max 6x6 , mostly wondering if i would gain any power . have'nt had any chain problems . answer was not really any gain in power . i have removed the front chains when running tracks and maybe gained a little , but in slippery mud or snow there is more tendency for the rear and center wheels to spin under heavier loads , etc. so tuner for center wheels on a 6x6 don't seem to really add any benefits . johnbo va,

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    I have been reading so much about tracks, track tension, track tuners, tire pressure. ... l think my tiny little brain is going to explode. Will a set of track tuners help on my 91 Vanguard 6x6 with super tracks? I have just aquired the machine, replaced the bearings, chain and tires. I really don't want to be replacing all this again too soon. I have the capability and access to all the equipment and tooling to build my own tuners. Would it be worth it on a 6x6? It seems to me, from what I have read, that tuners apply more to 8x8 argos. I have read that it seems to benifit some other brands or have I missed something?
    Don't worry about the Tuners for your application, you may want to consider figuring some bearing extensions.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. A set of track tuners seemed like it would be an interesting project.

they actually help with all track styles power wise, some more than others, and in some conditions more than others. You don’t have to run them with any track as there are ways to reduce slipping load with air pressure and tread direction, and top speed is very unimportant in these machines most of the time. People who travel in the upper range of their machine’s speed limit frequently will require more repairs over time.
    Tuners do allow a bit better top speed when travelling on smooth/easy-going terrain, but the most convenient trait is that they allow you to adjust tire pressure significantly up/down and even swap tire positions W/O having to worry about tire indexing problems. Softening ride and/or adjusting track tension (sometimes at the same time) can have a big wear and tear benefit. It seems folks are always adjusting their track lengths (or they need to), and sometimes swapping tire positions can have the same effect as changing track length 1-2 inches. W/O tuners you are far more limited in adjusting track tension and ride.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-09-2021 at 05:05 PM.

buzz ...on a 6x6 with tracks , whats the best tread direction for front , middle and rear tires if any ? thanks , j.b.

Good morning Buzz wondering if you would ever consider selling a set of plans for a channel track build Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    buzz ...on a 6x6 with tracks , whats the best tread direction for front , middle and rear tires if any ? thanks , j.b.
    JB- best to take one of your track grousers and run it over your tire tread. Some tread designs will allow the grouser to hang up a bit one direction but not the other. Other tread types don’t seem to matter, particular tire treads might let the track grouser stay on top of the tread lugs all the time both directions. If you find that the grouser can hook up on the tire lets say if the tire is going forward relative to the grouser, then that’s the way I run them on the front axle. The remaining axles will have the tire treads the opposite direction (the slip position so to speak). It may mean swapping tires from the left side of the machine to the right, ect. And that’s separate from indexing sizes as a group on each side. Hope that makes sense. The argo swimmer tread is especially this way with the tracks we use. On some tires it really helps moreso than others.

+ Reply to Thread