Adding actual brakes to an old Trailboss?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding actual brakes to an old Trailboss?

Adding actual brakes to an old Trailboss?

Hi, I've had my trail boss for a number of years. It's been fun to run around in, and much better now that I have the right belt on the drive. Now it'll move along pretty fast (for a 6x6). One problem I have is the stopping. It's either coast to a stop, or reverse the sticks. Reversing the controls seems pretty harsh, and at times can send me off the trail (usually to the left).

I was trying to think of a set of brakes or brake for the input shaft. I'd rather have a hand throttle, and use the current pedal for the brake. Any ideas on what might work? I was thinking of borrowing something from a snowmobile (older cable/disk brake).

Thanks!

I have a friend that added hydraulic brakes to center axle of Max IV. I don’t have the part numbers but know he used parts from midget racer or gocart. Mechanical disc from snowmobile would be a choice to look at.

Thanks.... at least I know it can be done. Looking at the center shaft, it looks like it'd make the most sense. I might even look at a hand brake for one stick, and a hand throttle for the other.

It looks like the hardest part will be the bracket to hold the caliper, and finding a brake disc I can use on the shaft.

I used these two items from eBay, made my sticks like a quad, turned 90 degrees left and right. made some hubs to hold disks. I installed them on the front axle and removed the parking brake and pedal. Made brackets to hold the calipers. the hydros work great.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-F...53.m2749.l2649
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-180MM-F...53.m2749.l2649

+ Reply to Thread