First time Attex owner needs help with rebuild.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Attex owner needs help with rebuild.

First time Attex owner needs help with rebuild.

Hello all,
    I picked up my very first Attex 6x6 I think it's a chief 400. I have been rebuilding and having fun doing it.

This is what I have done:

1. Replaced the fuel pump and filter
    2. Cleaned the carb.
    3. Replaced the throttle cable with a Honda FL250 Odyssey throttle cable
    4. made 1 front sprocket (it was missing) with a sprocket from tractor supply
    5. Replaced the front chains #50 (again tractor supply)
    6. Replaced the ignition switch (again tractor supply)
    7. Redid the exhaust
    8. Replaced the stock rimless tires with 22/11.00-8 Stryker atv tires on 8x7 5 bolt rims (with wheel adapters)

What I need to do:

1. Fix some cracks and 1 big hole where the muffler was in the tub
    2. Replace axle gaskets
    3. Replace at less 1 axle
    4. Make front chain tensioners
    5. Replace the drive belt
    6. rebuild the t20 transmission (it doesn't like to go in to reverse) maybe i can get away with just replace the shifting levers.

What I want to do:

1. Mount a winch to the front
    2. Mount a 2 inch receiver hitch to the back
    3. Make a split shift
    4. Repaint it
    5. Make a roll cage (maybe)

Any help with any of the items on my list will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...hp?photo=28986

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...hp?photo=28987

I will post more pics as I take them.

heyy buddy you gott alot to do i can helpp yaa alot ive been a attex expert for over 25 yrs 400's 440's and special super chiefs redone re modified mechanically and outside cosmetics go to the forum page...under attex's the pictures scroll down to page 5 and look under the 3 colum mine will blow your mind!! how sweet it is nothing like it in the nation its under the header'' pics of john ketch two of them loaded upp on screen...a exaust system thats untouchable all stainless and titanium and back-ported dual ported jketch@optimum.net is my email personally and phone to guide or helpp yaa with stuff 619-988-4162

heyy i made a mistake on my note earlier go to the gallery page not forum to see the pics click on page 5 at bottem of page then to line 3 i think under john ketch's pics

Thanks John, I will take you up on that. Your rig looks GREAT!! I don't think i will get my rig looking as good as that.

hahaha nodody could months and months and thousands invested too bad i lossed all the interior engine compartment piping shots that detailed all the stainless loops and exaust connection science planned out it was brutal to do it but fachinating to see...the machibe became valued over 7000 dollars..then the bitch gott stolen!!!!! long story never could trace it...it was the coolest super chief in the country years ago richard of route 6x6 site the owner..had all the pics oploaded years ago on his site it bleww away people..all kinds of special mechanical adjustment tricks invented inside...i ran jet fuel octane mixture in it 52 miles per hour...im still not over to this day losing it..countless hours of inguienty to do what i did it was a mezmerizing machine.....if i EVER!!! found the ****er that stole it he would be so DEAD....

Quote Originally Posted by johnedwardketch View Post
    hahaha nodody could months and months and thousands invested too bad i lossed all the interior engine compartment piping shots that detailed all the stainless loops and exaust connection science planned out it was brutal to do it but fachinating to see...the machibe became valued over 7000 dollars..then the bitch gott stolen!!!!! long story never could trace it...it was the coolest super chief in the country years ago richard of route 6x6 site the owner..had all the pics oploaded years ago on his site it bleww away people..all kinds of special mechanical adjustment tricks invented inside...i ran jet fuel octane mixture in it 52 miles per hour...im still not over to this day losing it..countless hours of inguienty to do what i did it was a mezmerizing machine.....if i EVER!!! found the ****er that stole it he would be so DEAD....
    Sorry to hear that man, that sucks. I bet it was really cool.

So i took my shifting levers out and found something that don't look right. take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/data...124_154758.jpg

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/data...124_154805.jpg

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/data...124_154820.jpg

That's an old T20. I can't tell you the year, but I've only seen a couple like that. You can replace the shifters with newer style or drive oversize pins into the existing shifters.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's an old T20. I can't tell you the year, but I've only seen a couple like that. You can replace the shifters with newer style or drive oversize pins into the existing shifters.
    The T shaped pin in the pic above fits loosely in the hole. Do you think that's the reason it will not engage reverse? The hole measures 0.25 inches in diameter and the pin measures 0.24 inches diameter.
    Last edited by greenlee623; 01-24-2021 at 07:49 PM.

The slack in the T pin may not be the problem, but .010" is a lot of clearance. It seems like if all was working properly it would get the shift collar close enough that the detent spring would pull it on into place. So, try this first - with the diamond out of the transmission, reach into the transmission and see if you can put it in reverse with a screwdriver.

If all works fine, put the diamond shifter back in and see if reverse will engage by hand (no linkage attached). Be careful not to drop that T pin down in the transmission. If it works fine by hand, then check to see if your linkage needs to be adjusted.

One other thing - It is possible to install the diamonds backwards which will keep it from working properly. You will notice the bore in the casing is offset with respect to the shift collar. When the diamond is installed, the pin is directly over the shift collar. If not, it's backwards.

+ Reply to Thread