Zero turn mower drive for AC terra tiger

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zero turn mower drive for AC terra tiger

Question Zero turn mower drive for AC terra tiger

So years ago I bought a terra tiger and it's been rotting away behind my parents house. It was full of water when I got it and in really bad shape so pretty much all the drive components are junk. So I'd like to start collecting parts to work on it one of these days. I would like to have reverse in it so I was thinking would it be possible to scrap a zero-turn mower and put the engine and drive Motors in this? I have a grasshopper zero turn and it seems pretty powerful. My biggest concern is weight as id like it to float on water again. Any input on this is appreciated.
    U.S. COAST GUARD

A T.T. was my 1st amphib. The lack of a reverse was the cause for me to get rid of the machine. There have been several people that have installed t20 transmissions in them, and I think the hydraulic route is also an option.

Knowing what I do about Terra Tigers though, I think you might be better served by purchasing a used Max, Hustler or Argo. Often fully serviceable machines come up for $1500-$2000 that need nothing.

The T.T. never really impressed me with size, ergonomics, handling, or design. There may be a couple of folks out there that love these machines, but my experience owning one when even compared to a base level Max or Hustler was a disappointment.

Good luck whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    A T.T. was my 1st amphib. The lack of a reverse was the cause for me to get rid of the machine. There have been several people that have installed t20 transmissions in them, and I think the hydraulic route is also an option.

Knowing what I do about Terra Tigers though, I think you might be better served by purchasing a used Max, Hustler or Argo. Often fully serviceable machines come up for $1500-$2000 that need nothing.

The T.T. never really impressed me with size, ergonomics, handling, or design. There may be a couple of folks out there that love these machines, but my experience owning one when even compared to a base level Max or Hustler was a disappointment.

Good luck whatever you do.
    thanks for the reply, ive seen others for sale cheap but i want to keep the TT. Im a tractor guy so theres that plus i like the size and look so i want to make it in to something cool.
    U.S. COAST GUARD

i think a zero turn system would work well in a 6x6 machine . you may not have a fast top speed .. but most of the time it's not needed. i have always figured if the tub on a machine was wide enough , dropping a zero turn inside ( no deck of course ) and extending those axles out of the tub then running the other 2 axles with chains would work well . the steering handles , seat , motor ,etc. could all stay intact . i guess the other option would be to transfer all the components of the zero turn to the tt. and fabricate all needed mounts, etc. could be a fun project , johnboy va.

Hydraulic sounds fine,but I wouldnt want the motor running at full speed all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    thanks for the reply, ive seen others for sale cheap but i want to keep the TT. Im a tractor guy so theres that plus i like the size and look so i want to make it in to something cool.
    You know its really not a Allis Chalmers design right? Decals only.

good point ... i know deedee with the hydro drive mudd ox usually runs maybe half throttle for just cruising , then for heavy mud he will up the power for a bit . seems to work well. j.b.

I am also working on a hydro powered 6X6. My Max IV with a turbo Kubota diesel was originally going to be a woods mower hydro drive, but I discovered the planetary drives would make the rig go way to slow. The motors were not big enough to run without the planetaries. I did a LOT of research to not have to buy all custom hydro equipment. I will be using pumps and motors from John Deere 2500 greensmower reel mowers for golf courses. They are very fast and powerful with variable pumps and no planetaries. because the pumps are variable, I will use two, one each side, same with motors, one each side. the pumps will stack with a small pump for pilot pressure. I will also use two hydro coolers from the same machine. It's a very simple design. easier on the engine also as you run constant RPM.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I looked really long at these some years back. Massive torque, and a top speed of 18mph, heavy output shaft diameter. I wasn't interested in a floating machine though, more along the lines of a tracked work vehicle for dealing with a honey locust problem. All those specs are dependent on the powerplant used of course. They were about half the present price when I looked at them though. Ouch!
    https://www.hydro-gear.com/commercial/
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

+ Reply to Thread