half track max

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: half track max

half track max

i have been wondering how a max 2 with tracks on rear and center tires and the front wheels '' freewheeling '' would work . front wheels would be unchained so there would be no chain windup. otherwise you have to go to a bigger tire on front to match other 2 diameter tracked tires. front wheels would be smaller and not touching the ground all the time . been thinking of giving it a try just for fun and see the results . j.b.

I'm interested in the outcome.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i have been wondering how a max 2 with tracks on rear and center tires and the front wheels '' freewheeling '' would work . front wheels would be unchained so there would be no chain windup. otherwise you have to go to a bigger tire on front to match other 2 diameter tracked tires. front wheels would be smaller and not touching the ground all the time . been thinking of giving it a try just for fun and see the results . j.b.

Give it a try John,
    I believe in most machines it will be an issue as your weight is over the center tires and forward like in the Max II causing the machine to bob, along with the bob effect when applying the steering brakes the downward force may cause the tires to scrub and defeat the results you are after. Along with this thought would be attempting to climb a steep, muddy or not, bank (imagine a 2wd vehicle trying to climb a large curb) the rear tires/track would push into an obstacle instead of over or up it
    You could, and perhaps should (always thinking out of the box), give it a try and dispel or confirm any of my negative input, your 1/2 tracked machine with the larger tires seemed to work ok even with your old tracks and the Hustler offered half tracks but with the front wheels driving.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Why only half, JB. Go big with full tracks!

thanks guys .. that need to be always creating and designing won't let me leave well enough alone. ( probably true with alot of us ) i think jim's explanation is right on about the bobbing , etc. on my homebuilt original half tracks the front tires drove also and i must say i think they worked in mud and snow just about as well as my full tracks now , the front tires were larger to match the diameter of the 2 tracked tires to eliminate chain windup. the difference with the half tracks was less weight and more power. when you think about the short distance on the ground between 2 tires , it's not much . most of the advantage of tracks is they spred the weight out of the machine on snow or mud. so you do loose a bit more support , but it does'nt seem to make a major difference . and i realize it would be a different situation with each machine . so if i carry on , instead of buying new rims and larger tires for the fronts , i have extra grousers so will make separate '' tire chains '' type things to wrap around the front tires for the right matching diameter . sounds silly and crazy , but there's not much else to do !! keep you posted , j.b.

also i think it may be harder to throw a halftrack than a full track and easier to drag back thru the mud and put back on. ( like i spent hrs. doing last october at busco) j.b.

Johnboy, was that you that made the bear paws for front tires with half track rears? Would something like those allow the front tires to skid around any easier? Or maybe something like those but uhmw? As soon as my wife's hustler is done then my next projects are designing and building tracks for both of our machines.
    DanW

yes , i made those and they worked great ..they are a add on to rims that add extra '' grab in mud and snow . there are some pretty easy ways to build tracks , just takes a llittle time. the ones those russians make for their homebuilt machines are a nice design. j.b.

well i ended up splitting my tracks in 2 pieces ...one part to run half tracks or add on the other section for full tracks. i had fun in 6'' of snow we got overnite . i really like the way the half tracks feel and perform on my max 2 highboy . it does have more power and turns on a dime. i'm running 3 lb.s of air in the 2 back tires and aired up the fronts with 8 lb.s so the tire diameters match. left the front chains on and no chain windup problems . plowed thru some '' muddy snow '' spots with ease. it just feels 'more nimble and takes less power to turn than with just tires . that's my report for now .. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    well i ended up splitting my tracks in 2 pieces ...one part to run half tracks or add on the other section for full tracks. i had fun in 6'' of snow we got overnite . i really like the way the half tracks feel and perform on my max 2 highboy . it does have more power and turns on a dime. i'm running 3 lb.s of air in the 2 back tires and aired up the fronts with 8 lb.s so the tire diameters match. left the front chains on and no chain windup problems . plowed thru some '' muddy snow '' spots with ease. it just feels 'more nimble and takes less power to turn than with just tires . that's my report for now .. johnboy va.
    This has me curious how well half tracks would do on a hustler.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread